Albion Gone Already?

Home Forums Software Albion Gone Already?

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    abellboy
    Participant

So this morning I wake up and there greeting me in my email was something from Spitfire Audio stating that Albion will not longer be available?!!!

I had to wipe the sleep out of my eyes, down a cup of coffee and re-read it to make sure I was not missing something.

It appears that this little library which I LOVE as had the shortest shelf-life of any of the libraries I own….. 4 YEARS!!!!

Does anyone have an idea why a product so popular and used in so many different places is discontinued so soon?

#22714 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I am guessing its just marketing, probably little or no sales at this point for it, so sell it off a greatly reduced rate. I do agree this is a first for a sample library.

#22723 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

I received the standard promotional emails of an online shop I sometimes buy stuff from: 57% off albion…

Is it a good or bad idea to pick up that deal? According to critics in general (i.e. SoundonSound for example), it appears like a great tool for cinematic compositions (apart for soloing).

On the other hand it is 4 years old, so I guess tech support will be non-existing and most importantly the sounds and articulations might have been over-used: Would music tracks composed with it have more chances to get rejected for a reason like ‘already heard that a million of times’?

#22724 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I don’t own Albion but I don’t think it has a “dated” sound. I think that the newer libraries from Spitfire offer greater individual depth . This is at a cost from a monetary/CPU/RAM standpoint. Albion was there first library , I think , it was sort of marketed as a “cheaper” Symphobia from a new developer. It may be reduced but is hardly cheap. Loads of vids on YT showing it off.

#22725 Reply
    brianmcbrearty
    Participant

I’m under the impression Spitfire will continue to support Albion.

They’re likely moving onto something else as yet unannounced, and/or trying to shift everybody toward their middle tier products.

And speaking as a library owner, I cannot imagine saying, “oh that’s albion,” and therefore not accepting the track.

At the risk of being too on-the-nose, It Ain’t The Fiddle.

#22726 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I think , it was sort of marketed as a “cheaper” Symphobia from a new developer.

I agree. Project SAM has that lower price range covered with its “Essentials” series now, too.

I doesn’t really make sense, though. CineSamples, for example, still sells their earliest libraries.

No…it doesn’t sound dated. We’re not talking about a DX7.

#22727 Reply
    Peter

No…it doesn’t sound dated. We’re not talking about a DX7.

Nothing wrong with the DX7! Served me well for many years 🙂

I think developers should pull an old library from the store. I’ve bought some old stuff from some developers and wish I hadn’t, maybe they could have updated the UI and usability of the old product so it mets the expectations of the new buyers. So it comes down to spending time on the new stuff and just retire the old, because it’s simply OLD.

P

#22728 Reply
    abellboy
    Participant

You know what is weird about what we do?

Our “Instruments” can be “taken from us” after we spend years perfecting their nuances!!!

Imagine a pianist working for 4 years perfecting his technique and then the sound of the piano is suddenly drastically changed!!!!

And with guys like me who mostly do mockups it’s even worse… It’s more like a chef that has recipes that require black pepper and all of a sudden only white pepper is available.

#22786 Reply
    soundroad
    Participant

Just bought it. 26.4 GB – about 8 hours of downloading for my internet speed…
    I’m absolutely not orchestral guy, but sometimes I do simple christmas tracks or need some strings parts for pop-rock. The orchestral patches from Structure sounds too thin for me and most special orchestral libraries are too expensive. I find it’s a good deal, hope it will fit my needs.

#22796 Reply
    Justin Franks

Our “Instruments” can be “taken from us” after we spend years perfecting their nuances!!!

Imagine a pianist working for 4 years perfecting his technique and then the sound of the piano is suddenly drastically changed!!!!

Huh? Albion will continue to work just fine and sound just like it always had. It just won’t be available for sale anymore.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Albion Gone Already?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us