need advice for a midi controller keyboard

Home Forums Hardware need advice for a midi controller keyboard

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Paolo
    Participant

I’m using Logic Pro X on a Mac Pro (OS X Yosemite) and up to this point, have been writing automation (mixer and plugins) with the mouse and the pencil tool. But I would like to start writing automation using a midi controller.

I did research, then recently took a trip to Guitar Center to test them out and came away with a few questions that I’m hoping someone, who has a similar set-up to mine, can help.

1) I’ve been reading that some people don’t care for automapping – it’s just software wrapped around a DAW and as a result causes more problems. Is automapping a feature that doesn’t need to be factored into the buying decision and therefore better to do the mapping manually (MIDI Learn)?

2) which controller is the most user friendly for a non-techie and is the least glitchy (or is that an oxymoron)?

3) which controller have you found works well not only with Logic, but also with 3rd party plugins?

4) my current keyboard is a 76 key Korg Trinity – so I rarely need to use up/down octave to play notes outside the keyboard’s range. I would be replacing the Trinity with just the keyboard midi controller (I need the desk space). Would having less than 76 keys – and using the shift octave up/down – be tiring or inconsequential.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Paul

#20719 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

^ bump ^

#20724 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@Paolo it really depends on what kind of music you do.

My instrument is piano. So, having a real piano feel and 88 keys is the most important thing to me.

If you’re doing EDM there’s plenty of options.

#20726 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

I would guess your Trinity has a reasonably nice action although not weighted, the cheaper controller keyboards can be horrible for piano players, you really need to play them. MAudio for a while had a very bad reliability problem. I use a novation Impulse 49, ok for synth parts but not for piano. Automap in theory sounds wonderful but I never really use it.Its a very personal thing, in its price range (cheap) the Novation stuff is good.

#20727 Reply
    Vizzahh
    Participant

Anyone have any experience with the new Nektar Impact LX series? Looks pretty straightforward and the price is definitely nice for an 88 key controller…

#20728 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

Thanks Michael and wooddenis for your feedback.

it really depends on what kind of music you do

I write mostly acoustic and electric guitar-based rock/indie/hybrid rock. And at times, I’m adding an orchestra instrument(s) if I’m doing hybrid-rock.

So the the midi controller keyboard I need would be for Logic Pro’s automation (writing automation for faders, pans, FX on/off, etc) so I wouldn’t have to use the mouse to write automation.

Vizzahh – what controller are you currently using? Is it with Logic Pro?

novation Impulse 49, ok for synth parts

I’ll check out the Impulse 49. Do you have Logic Pro and find it controls everything intuitively?

And you’re doing fine without the automapping – so that shouldn’t be a deal-maker/ deal breaker?

Thanks!
    Paul

#20730 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

If you are talking about volume automation maybe a http://www.presonus.com/products/faderport may be a better idea or another MCU.The sliders on the Novation are ok but nothing like a real fader and for me using a mouse would be preferrable.

I do use Logic 10 and tried auto mapping, the annoying thing is it creates a duplicate of every plugin in your folder which in my case makes it unmanageable. With Logics new plugin organiser you could I suppose separate them.

If I want more tactile control of parameter I just midi learn it to a knob and away I go, I can’t see the need to have every parameter on a plugin accessed like this especially as there is no visual feedback on the controller as to which one it is.

Now if you are talking about the AVID desks etc then its a different ballpark altogther.

#20731 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

@woodsdenis

Thank you for the additional feedback. I just watched a video of the Presonus Faderport on Youtube and that looks perfect for fader automation.

If I troubleshoot Logic to recognize my trinity’s controllers (Joystick, Ribbon controller and 2 assignable knobs) then I won’t need an additional MCU,

Thanks again.
    Paul

#20732 Reply
    Vizzahh
    Participant

I’m using a Kurzweil K2600 with Logic but would like to get something slimmer and with more modern control features. I like to use sustain and expression pedals so having multiple inserts on a controller is also a consideration…

#20733 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

@Vizzahh

I use a novation Impulse 49, ok for synth parts but not for piano

woodsdenis uses the novation Impulse 49 so that’s worth checking out. And “feel-wise” I thought the faders and knobs felt pretty good when I tested the Artoria KeyLab 49 at Guit Center – but would need know about their reputation.

#20734 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Axiom Pro3 49. Me not being a keyboard player, and writing a lot of guitar based music, I haven’t had a situation where I’ve needed more then that. I had an old axiom previously that worked fine, my brother in law has it now and still works wonderfully apparently after several years.

#20736 Reply
    mscottweber
    Participant

I’ve had a Nektar Impact LX61 for going on a year now, and it’s more than suited my needs. I primarily write guitar-based music, so I don’t make extensive use of its features. The knobs and sliders have a decent feel to them (certainly not as solid as nice analog gear, but as good or better than any other midi controller I’ve spent time with), the mod wheel feels nice, and the action is just fine for me (I’m not much a keys player so I don’t really know what “nice” or “poor” action is).

#20738 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

I just wanted to thank everyone for your replies – your feedback, advice and insights were very helpful and I really appreciate it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: need advice for a midi controller keyboard
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us