BMI 1st quarter How'd everybody do?

Home Forums General Questions BMI 1st quarter How'd everybody do?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    OverDub
    Participant

Hi all. Just wanted to see how how everyone did this quarter. I have to say it was the worst for me in a while. About 50% less than prior quarters. Part of the ups and downs I’m sure. Hope everyone’s was better than mine!

#18116 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear that OverDub. Ours was better than last quarter and about the same as the one before that.

#18121 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

As Art, I think, has said, this is a crazy business, in which you never know what will happen.

In my current statement, I received royalties for three long-forgotten cues that are 16 to 17 years old, which were produced using two emulator IV’s and a Tascam 80-8!

They were originally part of a RF, at the time “buy out” library, now owned by a large media company. Thanks to a change in BMI’s policy, they now pay for “short-duration” radio uses…like station-produced ads. BMI is using its proprietary version of fingerprint technology (like tunesat) to detect the cues. One cue had 203 detected performances.

Kind of like getting something from the “dead-letter” office it was a complete surprise, for which I’m grateful!

So…you never know!

#18126 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Up 10% or so over last quarter.

#18128 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

Great to hear from everyone. Glad it’s just me. Just part of the ebb and flow I’m sure. Here’s to a better 2nd quarter!

#18130 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

A whopping $17.00…..

#18131 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

About 13-x times better than the previous one :)))

didn’t expect anything like this,it’s just the 2nd statement for me.

#18133 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

A whopping $17.00…..

Hang in there, man. You’ll get past these low payments. Just keep putting in work.

#18134 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

A whopping $17.00…..

Hi Gary. If you’re the Gary that I’m thinking of, you’ve got a lot of music on RF sites. Did the royalties come through RF site placements, or from the same music placed by NE libraries, like JP?

If the latter, do you make more from those tracks from RF sales? If so, that would be further evidence that the needs of broadcast and RF libraries are different.

#18135 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

MichaelL:
    Yes most of my placements have been from RF sites, and mostly Cable, which as you know does not pay very well in general. About 95% of my income comes from RF sales. But I have only been at this for 4 years now, and it is going to take some time.

#18149 Reply
    guscave

I got about $600.00 less than the last distribution, but I’ve noticed that the 1st qtr is always the lowest payout for me. Things tend to pick up throughout the rest of the year. Usually about 25% increase.

#18181 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hey DI and folks. Don’t feed the trolls! You’ll only get deleted.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: BMI 1st quarter How'd everybody do?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us