BMI Statements

Home Forums PROs BMI Statements

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Do you think there is a danger in putting music in RF libraries that you already have in NE places like JP? If the clients are completely different than it shouldn’t matter right? Art Munson you said that you retitle the songs for RF?

All my cues go to RF and NE. I was re-titling differently for RF but stopped that last year. All the same titles at this point.

#22998 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

JakeH – Are the “right” libraries becoming the “wrong” libraries? Very well could be. I’m seeing a shift. Traditional thought as you laid out was my way of thinking 5-10 years ago. Now…..I’m not so sure. Front end is the new back end. Back end is eroding… The majors are slipping. They’d better start stepping up or they will loose ground.

#23076 Reply
    mojo rising

I was pretty disappointed with my recent ASCAP domestic payout. Its down quite a bit from last quarter. Anyone else? I’m starting to think as some have mentioned in this thread that back end is just the icing on the cake. And I should possibly try Royalty Free sites. I have a decent amount of tracks spread out in several NE libraries, and I’m getting lots of placements. Although they are mostly on cable shows so its really not adding up as much as I thought it would ad this point. I’m going on about 4 years of licensing my music, so I’m still fairly new. Does anyone know if the songwriters equity act actually has a chance of passing? And would it really increase our payment much on cable shows?

#23088 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Mine would have been the same as the previous two quarters, except for a $425 “adjustment” in my favor. It appears I got paid for two network placements that should have been in the July statement. Who knows, but I’ll take it…

I agree that it is frustrating, the payout amounts for the cable shows. Just as frustrating are streaming payouts. I got 60 cents for 135,000 streams of a show on Hulu.

I think the songwriters equity act has to do with getting paid for streams on services like Spotify, Pandora and etc. not necessarily cable.

#23091 Reply
    Mojo Rising

Art, did you find it to be a bad practice to retitle for Royalty Free? This would be my first attempt at royatly free so I was thinking about retitling the tracks and using my name instead of band(label) as the composer. I see most RF sites the artists are usually people’s names where as it seems in the TV world they like to place “bands” Also I was going to register each song with ASCAP with their new title. I figured I would ask since you said you used to do this for RF.

#23092 Reply
    Mojo Rising

oh ok, I didn’t realize that was mostly for streaming. Thanks for the info Michael

#23095 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Art, did you find it to be a bad practice to retitle for Royalty Free?

No, just too time consuming.

#23106 Reply
    Mojo Rising

just to clarify, when you did re-title for RF, were you re-titling and then actually re-registering all those new titles with your PRO so that you could collect any potential back end? Did you do this separately for each RF site, or just new titles for all NE RF sites? I might feel a little safer if I re-title before I try RF, because I actually have a few libraries left that won’t ever do a gratis back end only deal. And I don’t want to undercut their efforts because they are a dying breed.

On a related note, does any know if I wrong to think that even if I re-title a track, and ASCAP/BMI uses all the latest water marking technology to detect a placement, no matter which version of the song ASCAP finds in their surveys, ill be listed as a writer? The party that might get screwed is the library? Not that thats ok, I’m just saying it seems like a situation where the artist would at least hold on to their share of back end? Or if ASCAP gets confused do they just not pay anybody?

#23107 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Just to clarify, when you did re-title for RF, were you re-titling and then actually re-registering all those new titles with your PRO so that you could collect any potential back end?

If I saw them show up in Tunesat I would register all titles.

#23108 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

BTW it would be one registration but alternate titles.

For a while I was doing separate titles for say an AS and another for P5 as they have different license fees. Not worth the hassle though. Just comes under the heading of always trying new things!

#23110 Reply
    mojorising

ok thanks Art, so if I re-title I can just edit my current ASCAP registrations of each song with an alternate title? I didn’t realize that was an option.

#23111 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

ok thanks Art, so if I re-title I can just edit my current ASCAP registrations of each song with an alternate title? I didn’t realize that was an option.

Don’t know how ASCAP works. If it’s a new registration with BMI I can add the alt titles then but if it’s after the fact I have to e-mail them.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
Reply To: BMI Statements
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us