BMI Statements

Home Forums PROs BMI Statements

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

BMI statements are out. It’s not a pretty picture, at least for me.

I’m seeing continued erosion of performance value. Identical cues and performances that used to pay dollars, are now paying pennies.

Not good.

#20852 Reply
    composer
    Participant

Statement is not pretty for me either.

More pages, less money.

#20853 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Sort of a watershed moment for me @composer.

I’ve had 150,000 to 200,000 annual performances of a small number of TV themes for almost 15 years. Despite doubling the number of themes and doubling my ownership shares, I’ve seen a steady decline in the value of performance royalties down to literally $.01.

Today, I realized that at that rate, I can probably generate more money from direct licensing, especially of cues are not PRO registered.

Other’s MMV.

#20855 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Yeah… I’ve only been with BMI for 3 quarters and am not impressed. I only made enough this time for a nice steak dinner. Heck, I make a lot more from Pandora streams!

#20856 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’m not blaming BMI.

BMI per se has little to do with the value of music in the marketplace. Composing has become a dime-a-dozen trade. The value of music has decreased proportion to the increase in the amount of music being produced.

#20858 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

@MichaelL and @composer

I’m with you. I don’t know what to make of these BMI statements either.

Last quarter, my BMI statement was so bad (at the level it was 3-4 years ago) I had to force myself to not think about it – and I buried it deep inside my hard drive directory. This quarter, it’s way, way up and back to my higher levels.

So maybe next quarter you’ll see a big-bounce back too.

Paul

#20861 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Most of my placements were on ReelZ channel which is 100% cheesy reality TV. I recently had placements on Discovery so hopefully the future will be better.

#20862 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

Michael,

I’ve had 150,000 to 200,000 annual performances of a small number of TV themes for almost 15 years

Those are very impressive numbers (and speaks to your music’s longevity). I’m looking at my BMI statement right now and other than counting the pages, I don’t see an aggregate number of performance counts. And I would assume you didn’t need to (nor wanted to 🙂 count one by one 150,000 occurrences of performances.

It would be great to also know my total number of annual performances. Could you share where on the BMI website you were able to see your number?

#20864 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

Slightly better than the previous one (around 10%).
    My experience is short though,4th statement so far.

#20865 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

We (Robin and I) are up about 20% this quarter from last quarter. Some new placements as well as I’m starting to see results from reconciling our Tunesat detections with our statements. As an example I found a commercial, via Tunesat, that BMI was under reporting. I checked it against Comptitrack, reported it to BMI, and that netted us an extra $500 for back payments this quarter.

#20867 Reply
    composer
    Participant

Sort of a watershed moment for me @composer.

I’ve had 150,000 to 200,000 annual performances of a small number of TV themes for almost 15 years. Despite doubling the number of themes and doubling my ownership shares, I’ve seen a steady decline in the value of performance royalties down to literally $.01.

Today, I realized that at that rate, I can probably generate more money from direct licensing, especially of cues are not PRO registered.

Other’s MMV.

Sorry to hear this, Michael. That’s a stunning number of performances.

A sharp decline in performance royalties is terrifying. For this to work as a business model, that long tail of royalties is, obviously, essential.

#20868 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

It would be great to also know my total number of annual performances. Could you share where on the BMI website you were able to see your number?

It’s not on BMI’s the website. Paolo.

My royalties come from a handful of TV themes, so it’s simple math. The number of themes + bumpers X the number of shows X the number of stations X 52 weeks per year.

What’s valuable about my stats is that it tracks the same cues, same number of performances, same networks over time. My numbers are unaffected by having more placements this Q vs fewer placements last Q, because I don’t add any new cues into that market. I don’t write for JP or SK, etc.

In other words, how I did this quarter is unrelated to increased or decreased placements. It’s always identical. So, what I’m actually seeing a change in baseline per performance value.

Assuming that most writers keep feeding the system, their royalties should go up. But, they may find that they are working harder to stay level.

#20870 Reply
    composer
    Participant

I’m starting to see results from reconciling our Tunesat detections with our statements.

I had many, many Tunesat detections that didn’t show up on this statement. (I know there’s a separate thread discussing how long to wait before following up on missed/late cue sheets.)
    Good for you, Art, for using Tunesat to your advantage!

#20872 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

(I know there’s a separate thread discussing how long to wait before following up on missed/late cue sheets.)

I usually wait a couple of quarters before I start contacting the libraries and BMI.

#20873 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

My royalties come from a handful of TV themes, so it’s simple math. The number of themes + bumpers X the number of shows X the number of stations X 52 weeks per year.

how I did this quarter is unrelated to increased or decreased placements. It’s always identical. So, what I’m actually seeing a change in baseline per performance value.

Ahhh…I see what you mean. thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
Reply To: BMI Statements
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us