Co-Writer experience

Home Forums General Questions Co-Writer experience

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kubed
    Participant

I think i read a post about having a co-writer when i joined MLR but can’t find it.Sorry if there’s already a post about it,i would like to hear what is your experience having a co-writter.What are the pros and cons,if there are any legal issues writers should know about (with PROS or anything else),tips about the workflow and anything helpful you can thing of from your experience.It seems like a good idea to have a co-writer for some tracks,let me know your thoughts about it.

#18422 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

I would like to learn of any of your experiences with a cowriter also. I just started working on a batch of new tracks with a cowriter and we plan on a 50/50 split for everything regardless of who did what on each track. We also plan on going with an exclusive library so we can keep it simple. I’m still undecided on which library. Thoughts?

#18423 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I have done a few projects with co-writers. I always split everything evenly. I like doing my part and sending what I have for my co-writer to perfect.

#18425 Reply
    Michael Nickolas

I always do a written agreement with co-writers stating terms and rights, even with my best friends. Here is a link I’ve found helpful in the past, hope it helps:

http://lawontherow.com/2007/11/02/last-man-standing-collaborating-with-other-songwriters/

#18432 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

thanks for the link Michael,interesting stuff in there.
    I guess a written agreement helps you keep everything neat and clean.

#18530 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

A written collaboration agreement is a good idea though I haven’t always done this with folks I know well and trust (I really should do this more often. I have in the past).

Some of the things to spell out are:

Split on composition
    Split on master ownership
    Split on publishing
    Expense sharing for production
    Split on royalties such as sync and PRO
    Who can sign agreements for the team
    What if a party can’t be reached within N days and there is an outstanding agreement? Assignment of full Power of Attorney for master and composition in that case?

One template (May need some modifications) is at:

Collaboration Agreement

I’ve heard horror stories of people writing together and then a few years later one of the writers gets presented a deal but can’t even find one of the other writers. Or squabbles down the road about splits once a deal is presented. So getting things in writing early on is a best practice.

#18538 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

@Advice: that’s very informative,thanks a lot!The template seems pretty simple and to the point,i like it.In general,i wouldn’t sign a doc with a co-writer i trust but on the other hand,a contract keeps things simple and tidy.

Also,you’re so right about the last thing you said,i haven’t thought of this situation.Sometimes a company/agency wants to clear a license within 24 hours,i can’t imagine the agony of having to reach the other co-writers and getting no sign of them!Thanks for mentioning this 😉

#18539 Reply
    Michael Nickolas

>i can’t imagine the agony of having to reach the other co-writers<

The article I linked to above states that:

“each songwriter is a co-owner of and equal and undivided interest in the whole copyright, i.e. each songwriter co-owns 100% of the copyright – regardless of the relative extent of their respective contributions.”

Some companies I work with don’t ask for the co-writer’s signature. Just their PRO and percentage. I’ve never understood why other companies want the co-writers signature. If each songwriter owns an undivided interest, then my signature should be enough shouldn’t it? MichaelL?

#18541 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

It’s not a given that splits are even but in the absence of OTHER documentation, it would be assumed. A US copyright does not define percentages, it assumes equal shares. You need a collab agreement to document anything other than that.

Companies ask for co-writer’s signatures to guard against future claims/problems. It is definitely the best thing to do. Imagine a library places a track and some co-writer comes out of the woodwork and says, “Hey! I didn’t agree to that!”… I’d be more concerned about libraries that DON’T ask for co-writer signatures than ones that do.

Anyway, I’m not a lawyer but I was going to dress as Michael L for Halloween. 😉 😛

#18542 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

that’s a good question Michael,i agree that your signature should be enough since everybody will get his percentage but since some companies demand all of the writer’s signatures there must be a reason for doing so.In the event you have only a few hours to secure the deal though and the co-writers are on skydiving lessons in Tibet,this practice could cost you (and your co-writers) a good deal of money.

#18545 Reply
    Michael Nickolas

>Imagine a library places a track and some co-writer comes out of the woodwork and says, “Hey! I didn’t agree to that!”… <

Sure, but my question is does she or he even have to agree to that? If I own 100% of the copyright and the co-writer owns 100% of the copyright, it seems to me we should be free to use the tune as we wish, limited only by the “rules” as outlined in our signed co-writing agreement.

#18546 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Yes, Michael, **IF* you have such an agreement. However, if you are the library, you want to cover your ass well. The hassle of someone contesting something later (even if you have a collab agreement) ain’t worth it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Co-Writer experience
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us