Composer links for MLR members?

Home Forums General Questions Composer links for MLR members?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

@Mike…Thanks. The Manhattan collections were written to general briefs: Sports / News and Notstalgic 50’s /60’s.

The Christmas piece is the bed mix of RF cue.

#19774 Reply
    macaent1
    Participant

After listening to you guys’ music I realize I still have a lot to learn. MichaelL, your samples sound so realistic. I had always wanted to hear your music.

I guess I’m not quite ready for the title of composer. All of you are amazing writers and now I understand why some of my stuff got rejected (anything with strings). You guys and MLR have all been a big help to me and inspire me to want to get better at writing, mixing, and diversifying my catalog. Thank you all. Thanks to you too Art for bringing us all together.

#19775 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@macaent1 you shouldn’t be discouraged. I’ve been doing this since the dark ages…when Jimmy Carter was US President, CD’s hadn’t been invented, there was no cable TV, and phones had cords!

Strings are hard to do. Just for reference:

The older cues (the nostalgia stuff) are 5 or 6 years old. Most of that was EWQLSO (which is a bargain now). The newer cues (political and sports) are about 2 years old. The strings are a combo of LASS and Symphobia.

The key to making samples sound real is to write as if you are writing for live players.

#19779 Reply
    macaent1
    Participant

You’re right, strings are exceptionally hard to do. Not so much legato, but staccato and other more complicated articulations. Hard for me to get the feel right with the composition. I guess I just don’t have the ear for it. I was pretty content with the samples in Komplete until I heard your tracks. I guess they work ok for pop, not so much for more complicated writing styles.

#19780 Reply
    macaent1
    Participant

I really like LASS. IF I could afford the bundle I would jump on it.

#19781 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I was pretty content with the samples in Komplete until I heard your tracks. I guess they work ok for pop, not so much for more complicated writing styles.

If you mean Session Strings, yes they are geared toward pop writing, which is a different sound, and hard to do with some of the orchestral libraries, which sound to big (epic) for pop.

The orchestral strings in Kontakt are a teaser sampling from VSL.

If you really want to learn more about writing for strings this is a great book for pop arranging: http://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-Arranger-Definitive-Edition-Book/dp/0882844857

If you’re more interested in a classical / film-score approach this is a good course from the late Peter Alexander. His courses and books are very thorough.
    http://alexanderpublishing.com/Products/Writing-For-Strings-Course–Complete-Edition-With-Text-and-More__AU-WFS-Home-spc-Study-Complete.aspx

#19783 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Writer’s often ask about edits. I’m always deliver full, 60, 30 and 15 versions, as well as alt mixes.

In the Manhattan links that I posted, there’s a box to right of the title with a number in it, usually +4 or +5. Click on that and you can see how I handle edits and alt mixes.

#19785 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Nice to hear your stuff, Michael. And it puts to bed that whole “Michael L is really Michael LAskow” thread that out there awhile back (kidding I never doubted it). Very good, high level stuff.

#19788 Reply
    Tyler

You guys’ music is amazing… I do more simple hip hop/pop/electro stuff. But want to get into this world of composing. Seems like it would take at least 8-10 years to get even close to your productions.

#19789 Reply
    macaent1
    Participant

Thanks MichaelL and Tyler I’m pretty much in the same boat.

#19787 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

And it puts to bed that whole “Michael L is really Michael LAskow” thread that out there awhile back (kidding I never doubted it).

Nope. The closest that I’ve come is riding in a taxi. 😀

Thanks Chuck.

#19799 Reply
    ENW1
    Participant

Fascinating. There’s a lot of musical variety here.
    May I stick one in too? This is not commercial composing. Sometimes, I write just for the fun of it. Had some trouble getting the link to load. Hopefully this works 🙂

http://www.watersmusicdesign.com/clientreview/misc/ANTICIPATION_2.mp3″ title=”ANTICIPATION no.2″>

#19805 Reply
    thsounds
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’m new to MLR and happy to be here!
    I don’t have a big catalog, neither impressive credits (yet) I decided to take more seriously this production music venture last year.

Here are samples of my recent work

#19806 Reply
    thsounds
    Participant

#19809 Reply
    MuscoSound
    Participant

Here is mine. Musco Sound

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
Reply To: Composer links for MLR members?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us