.cpgz extensions on zip files….

Home Forums Off Topic Posts .cpgz extensions on zip files….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ChuckMott
    Participant

I sent a library some .zip files but when they went to open them it came up with a cpgz extension and they were unable to open. Any tech heads here ( or anyone) come up with a solution to this problem? BTW zipped on a Mac and they also tried to open on a Mac. Best suggestion I found on the net was try to unzip using a different browser but waiting to see how that works. Help maybe?

#18744 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

And actually a short term solution was to experiment unzipping them myself , and turns out I had to experiment with different expanders. In my case Stuff It Expander worked. But then what am I supposed to tell other potential libraries….keep screwing around with various unzipping programs until you find one that works? Search for answers continues. This link us potentially helpful I think. Other thoughts welcome.

How to Open a Zip File That Turns Into a CPGZ

#18747 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Looks like this may have been a temporary problem on further research. Seems to be the only way to find out is to fool around with zip files and see if it continues. If anyone else wants to weigh in, thanks in advance.

#18750 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

ANd I figured out the issue this morning. At the risk of not wanting to be longwinded, suffice to say IZIP was the program creating this extension for me. For whatever reason, I re-downlaoded win zip mac and does’ have the issue, zips and unzips files fine. TO be fair, I don;t think this was completely an IZip problem, as this seems to randomly happen at times in other software according to what’s out there on the net. Apparently a random OSX/Linux issue.Hopefully this post helps someone out there one of these days.

#18751 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks for the follow up Chuck. Glad you got it sorted. I’m on a PC and have never run into that problem.

#18754 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

If you are on a Mac highlight file, right click and use compress in the menu. This is the native Mac zipping utility and I have never had an issue with it.

#18755 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

What denis said. You do not need a separate program to create a zip archive on a Mac. Right click and choose ‘compress’.
    It will open on any platform.

#18773 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Thanks guys. Never know that internal program existed until this happened. Appreciate it!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: .cpgz extensions on zip files….
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us