Cue Sheet Surprises (but good ones)

Home Forums General Questions Cue Sheet Surprises (but good ones)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jay

I,like a lot of you check my PRO account every morning and really just look to see if a new cue sheet has arrived or if a new song has been registered..if I see nothing I move on with my day.I recently dug into existing cue sheets of mine to find other cue sheets with new episodes of that show have been added -I wasn’t aware of these placements and because these were adds to existing cue sheets my cue sheet total really never changed..but todayI found like 20 new placements..anyone else run across this?

#23844 Reply
    ComposerLDG
    Participant

Not yet, but that’s awesome! Congratulations!

#23846 Reply
    BrianDWatson
    Participant

Not sure how BMI works, but with ASCAP you can sort by episodes rather than shows and see how many total episodes you’ve been on. This is helpful once you’ve been on more than a few shows and can keep a mental note of the total each quarter. I’ve been trying to see if I can predict my payments (which is probably totally impossible but fun anyway)

#23847 Reply
    Jay

I’m w/ASCAP too…along with checking for new cue sheets I guess I’ll start checking for new episodes as well..and thanks LDG 🙂

as far as trying to predict ANYTHING w/royalties I don’t even try..way too mysterious for me..I am trying to hook up w/some Music Supervisors & Film Makers though…I have way too much music that’s not getting used @ the few libraries i’m in (I do indie rock,scoring pieces etc.) it just feels like a waste to totally depend on libraries & licensing companies..there’s got to be another way..

#23848 Reply
    Frequencee
    Participant

From what I’ve been reading it seems like those of you with ASCAP have much more visibility on cue sheet postings compared to BMI.

Ironically I just saw my first cue sheet posting this weekend on my BMI for a show that aired in Q3. Tunesat never caught the detection so it was a nice surprise. The cue sheet posting looked something like this ‘name of the show’-BG cues, BMI work # 0.

Just a few days before the cue sheet posted I had noticed the publisher that placed the track re-registered a title slightly different from it’s original. I wasn’t sure why but before I had the chance to reach out and ask this cue sheet posting came in and under the details was the same title that the Publisher had re-registered just a few days prior.

#23883 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Frequencee, where on the BMI site did you find the cue sheet posting?

#23884 Reply
    Frequencee
    Participant

@TimV maybe wrong choice of wording. An actual cue sheet showing data on tracks used, timings, Data on other songs from other writers, publishers, etc. on the tv show is not what I see on my bmi. I don’t think that’s something any of us with bmi can see on compared to our peers with ASCAP what I saw was an unregistered title for a cue that was on a tv show. It shows up on my works registration. For anyone else familiar with this am I explaining it correctly? Feel free to chime in…

#23892 Reply
    Advice

Yes, I’m aware of this. So every day, not only do I check the total number of cue sheets, but I scan the list for increases in the number of episodes per cue sheet. I have some with as many as 7 episodes. (I’m as ASCAP member)

#23893 Reply
    Jay

I have some with as many as 7 episodes. (I’m as ASCAP member)

that’s how I stumbled upon these placements as I had a track on 7-8 episodes of this series and as I was poking around in there I saw it was up to 15? and then I started looking around and found that to be the case on 3 or 4 other shows..that’s really good to know that if a show survives and you already have music on it there’s a good chance your stuff could reappear on other episodes – the show I have music on 15 episodes of is a perfect example as the initial placements were on seasons 2 & 3 but all these new placements were on season 7…

#23922 Reply
    KevinG
    Participant

For anyone else familiar with this am I explaining it correctly? Feel free to chime in…

I’ve had those if the cue wasn’t registered from the library yet. I really wish BMI would come up with a way of viewing cue sheets on the site.

#23926 Reply
    Frequencee

@KevinG Thanks for the input! I think I figured out what happened. The track was registered something like ‘latin hip hop v2 no gtr’ Whoever submitted the cue sheet to BMI it came up as ‘latin hip hop v2’ it was missing the ‘no gtr’ part of the title so that’s probably why it posted like that since it didnt match up with the existing registered title. Makes sense too if a track is not even registered that those will pop up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Cue Sheet Surprises (but good ones)
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us