Deciding on which string library to get?

Home Forums Software Deciding on which string library to get?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    xeon92

Hi all,

I currently run a very low end PC with access to only about 8GB ram, so the string samples I need have to be able to be light on RAM. Its going to be while before I save up for a proper PC (+$2k) so I’m stuck with this small setup for now.

So far I have done much research behind 8dio adagietto, CS2 and LASS Lite 2. They all sound great and they all seem to be all around the same price; with the only exception that LASS Lite 2 is much cheaper now with their discount ($299) – which is tempting!

On the other hand, I can get EWQL Hollywood orchestra which is being sold for $599 right now (crazy sale), but my worry is that I won’t even be able to run these on my low end PC! EWQL are a beast on resources I’m told…

The things what I’m definitely missing from my current pallet are some strings that can do fast aggressive staccatos AND legato transitions. (I know there’s Albion ICENI which is a jack of all trades but I think whether it covers fast legato runs..)

Would greatly appreciate any tips and suggestions!

Thanks

#21492 Reply
    xeon92

The things what I’m definitely missing from my current pallet are some strings that can do fast aggressive staccatos AND legato transitions. (I know there’s Albion ICENI which is a jack of all trades but I don’t think whether it covers fast legato runs..)

Sorry, I forgot to add a word there.

#21493 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

I would worry about system resources for sure. Some of the libraries you’ve mentioned may also have a ‘lite’ version of their patches.

In the end it’s doubtful to find one library to cover all of your bases (well, at least).

If you haven’t already I’d spend a lot of time listening to the demos done with each library. Figure out which one sounds “best” to your ears and your style of writing. Something else to consider is HOW each library fits into your workflow. Some are more performance oriented while others depend on more key-switching. Check out any walk-through videos (if you haven’t already) to get a better idea.

#21494 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

that’s great advice from Mike about how to find the best strings library for you needs.

I just wanted to add that I’ve found Garritan Personal Orchestra to be fairly light on CPU/RAM demand. Garritan doesn’t have that blockbuster epic movie trailer sound if that’s what you need, but it’s useful for adding realistic orchestration.

They have an Instant Orchestra and a Personal Orchestra – each for around $150 – and as Mike pointed out, you can check-out their walk through videos and sound samples.

#21495 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Here are a couple of vids to for Agitato and Adagietto (which you mentioned.:

Agitato: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tschqskhB2s

Adagietto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wikbSS1cE3o

#21496 Reply
    PatrickM

I would also consider the Special Edition of the Vienna Symphonic Library. For 295 Euros you get an entire orchestra that sounds great, very efficient on the memory side of things and you get solo strings as well.
    I use this library to blend in with others but you can get great results with it on it’s own.

http://vsl.co.at/en/Special_Edition_Complete_Bundle/Special_Edition_Vol1

#21642 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

I’m in the market also for a better string/orchestral library. All I have now is Garritan Instant Orchestra, Komplete 10 and a few patches in Omnisphere. They work well but I still sometimes get feedback that particularly solo strings still sound a little fake. So, I see that LASS gets the top vote for strings on this site but they’ve been around a while and won awards back in 2011. Would you all still say they are the best? The full version is on sale right now, but, yikes!, at $799 is still pricey. So I want to make sure. Thanks!!

#21644 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@Davydad,you have a lot of choices. I have LASS Full and LASS Sordino, both are very nice.

I also think the strings from Spitfire Audio are gorgeous. Other choices include 8dio, VSL, CineSamples, Cinematic Strings and Hollywood Strings. All of them will set you back $400 to around $1,000.

Spitfire and 8dio are pricey.
    But… VSL is completely dry. You need a great reverb for tails and some sort of spatial plug, like MIR, Spat or Virtual Sound Stage. You can spend another huge chunk of change on that.
    Hollywood Strings sound good, out of the box, if EPIC is your thing. But…you need a fairly powerful PC to run them.

Embertone has some very good solo strings: Friedlander Violn, Blakus Cello, and now the Fischer Viola. The sound great, take a lot of work with CC controllers, and you’ll need goods verbs, as described above.
    Each of their solo instruments runs about $125. So…for $375 + whatever you spend on good reverbs you’ve got three good solo strings. http://embertone.com

Happy shopping.

#21645 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Spitfire just released an ensemble version of Mural, not crazy money. If all you are using is the basics it may be worth checking out.

#21646 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Spitfire just released an ensemble version of Mural, not crazy money. If all you are using is the basics it may be worth checking out.

$390 USD. Just checked them out. They sound great. But, it is a paired down library of basic articulations.

The choice really depends on what you want / need to write David.
    Solo strings are a different animal from big sections.

#21647 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

I tend to shy away from string solo stuff. Would much rather use a nice oboe or french horn. Really like what I hear from 8Dio… pricey!

#21648 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

So, I see that LASS gets the top vote for strings on this site but they’ve been around a while and won awards back in 2011. Would you all still say they are the best?

To answer that question specifically…some people still say yes. But, it really depends on what you want to write and how you write. Those who think it’s the best generally think it has the best legato sound, the level of control over each instrument and the divisi sections. All of the comes with a price. It’s not a piece of cake to work with. But..here’s a demo that I just found.

That said, I have LASS, the Embertone violin and cello and I would to add the Spitfire strings. Different tools for different jobs.

#21649 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Just thought I’d throw this out there – https://synfulauth.com
    The winds and violin patches sound amazing.
    Best of all – virtually no ram is used, and very little processing.

#21696 Reply
    SeanRob

if you haven’t yet check out Orchestral Tools Berin Strings. I really like the sound it has our of the box and it has a pretty easy work flow. It’s a huge library tho. It should be fine with your system as I have the same amount of RAM you do.

the one catch tho is it is pricey. It’s around 890 pounds so in American USD it’s quite a bit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Deciding on which string library to get?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us