Discovery royalties?

Home Forums PROs Discovery royalties?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    daveydad
    Participant

So with the recent question about ReelZ channels PRO royalties, I’m wondering how well Discovery pays? I had a few cues used last month on their Billy Bob’s Gags to Riches show. I know, I know… a nice McDonald’s dinner? 🙂

#21574 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Don’t worry about the royalties.

Just make good music and place it with the best libraries you can get in. All of the guessing and speculation and frustration does not help. A placement here and there isn’t going to pay out anything worth being concerned about.

It is about repeat placements on many different shows that builds up PRO royalties.

#21575 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

I think he’s looking for a real answer, not philosophy. Here’s a few numbers from my last statement. Still don’t understand the rhyme or reason. It also depends on the show popularity. Hope that helps!

3 Plays $25.36
    3 Plays $12.69
    3 Plays $13.98
    2 Plays $21.04

#21576 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Don’t worry about the royalties.

@DI what OverDub said. Please try to answer a question specifically.

#21577 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Thanks!

#21578 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I think he’s looking for a real answer, not philosophy. Here’s a few numbers from my last statement. Still don’t understand the rhyme or reason. It also depends on the show popularity. Hope that helps!

3 Plays $25.36
    3 Plays $12.69
    3 Plays $13.98
    2 Plays $21.04

One key bit of info….how long was the cue, or cues in each play?

#21579 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

Yes that would help, wouldn’t it!

3 Plays $25.36…26 seconds
    3 Plays $12.69…21 Seconds
    3 Plays $13.98…21 Seconds
    2 Plays $21.04…21 Seconds

#21580 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

OverDub.. those are some pretty decent $/min rates there. Which country is that? US? Which exact Discovery channel? Their main Discovery one?

#21582 Reply
    Happy Ears
    Participant

Just on a side note, If someone would create a little booklet guide, database or something like that with information regarding back end royalties for various networks I would pay $29.95 for that 🙂 Someone with a large history of statements such as a publisher or veteran composers could probably easily create this by using the CSV versions of their statements, importing them into MS Excel and using some formulas and sorting round, figure out appx. per minute rate for different networks, maybe even including exsamples of per minute rates for diffrent times of the day and other variables. Could even include useages such as themes on varouis cables networks etc.
    So there you have it, a free business idea plus your first customer, now go do it! 🙂 It could even be for an addition to a book. Acutally if anyone does this they should proabaly give me a free copy 🙂

#21584 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

maybe we could all just contribute to a list of rates, because this would be a huge amount of work. And still not entirely accurate – I see strange inconsistencies throughout my statements.

Here’s a small contribution – (ASCAP)

CBS promo morning – $8.99 per usage
    CBS promo afternoon – $13.48 per usage
    CBS promo primetime – $17.97 per usage

NBC promo morning – $8.99 per usage
    NBC promo afternoon – $13.48 per usage
    NBC promo primetime – $14.77 per usage

ABC BG primetime – $119.82 per minute

CBS BG afternoon – $89.87 per minute
    CBS BG primetime – $119.82 per minute

NBC BG morning – $59.94 per minute

Fox BG afternoon – $83.72 per minute
    Fox BG primetime – $118.67 per minute

Univision BG primetime – $12.24 per minute

#21585 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

maybe we could all just contribute to a list of rates, because this would be a huge amount of work.

Great idea and I just discovered I can embed a Google doc in a WordPress post. I can share that doc (spreadsheet) with a few folks, who would like to contribute, and it will show up here. I’m thinking for columns Quarter, Network, PRO, Time of day, Amount per minute.

Any other ideas?

#21586 Reply
    MaLmusic
    Participant

Here’s a small contribution, for Canadian TV channels… They’re for the full share of royalties, so you should divide it by 2 if you only own the writer’s share. It’s in Canadian $, and it’s for 1 BG usage. From what I know, time of day makes no difference, unless it’s during night time, then it’s much lower.

CBC – $26.08 per min
    CTV – $75.98 per min
    Global – $55.47
    TVA – $30.50
    SRC – $23.27
    V – $9.32
    PBS – $1.15 per min
    City – $31 per min

MTVCanada – $1.77 per min
    A&E – $3.84 per min
    Discovery – $7.94 per min
    TSN – $29.59 per min
    RDS – $12.61 per min
    Lifetime – $1.61 per min
    Slice – $3.41 per min
    Food Network – $5.26 per min
    HGTV – $5.96 per min
    MuchMusic – $2.72 per min

#21587 Reply
    Happy Ears

Any other ideas?

Usage would be a great column too. ex BI, Source, Theme, On Air Performance etc. Also a notes columns where additional info like ex BMI are currently in negotiations with this Network etc.

#21588 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I can share that doc (spreadsheet) with a few folks, who would like to contribute, and it will show up here.

Awesome! With enough people contributing this could be a really useful doc. I’m just throwing this out there – maybe it’s a doc that when finished is available to full members of the site? Could be a way to help boost paid membership for Art…

#21589 Reply
    Advice

I’m pretty sure that Discovery owns some smaller spin-off channels so the pay rate can vary a lot depending on whether the broadcast was actually on Discovery or one of the sub-channels. DISC would pay a lot more.

Someone else can verify this. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Discovery royalties?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us