Entertainment Lawyer?

Home Forums Newbie Questions Entertainment Lawyer?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jennajohns
    Participant

Can anyone recommend an entertainment lawyer? I am located in NJ/NYC area. I recently received my first Agreement for a non-exclusive library. The lawyer I contacted said they ask for a retainer of close to $2000 which they deduct the Agreement review from. Does anyone know an attorney that I could pay to simply review the Agreement without the whole retainer thing? Thank you so much.

#21022 Reply
    Stacktrace
    Participant

@jennajohns I’d be happy to pass along my lawyer’s info. I was looking to hire one so I interviewed several of them about 6 months ago, one of which splits his time between NYC and Atlanta. Feel free to send me a PM and we can chat.

#21028 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

HI Jenna,

Michael L is a member of this forum – very knowledgeable and works both sides of the composing equation: entertainment lawyer and composer.

Why not PM him to discuss his availability and rate (to look over your license agreement).

Another thought – a lot of these non-exclusive agreements are repetitive and boiler plate with changes to very common aspects between library and composer. If you review the agreement and post specific questions here, there are many folks who could help. Also, you could probably find some answers in this website’s “contract” forum.

Good luck,
    Paul

#21057 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Lawyer in the house. 😀

Hi Jenna. Timing is everything. At the moment, I am not practicing because the State in which I’m living does not have reciprocity with the State in which I am licensed.

That may change very soon. Thanks to our friends at BMI, I’m considering returning to full-time practice.

I would charge an hourly fee, rather than a retainer to simply read a contract. Reading an average contract would be significantly less than what you were quoted.

Unfortunately, I can’t help you until I’m back on home turf.

#21210 Reply
    jennajohns
    Participant

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for your reply. Please let me know when you are practicing again!
    Thanks,
    Jennifer

#21211 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Hi Jennifer.

Will do. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Entertainment Lawyer?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us