Fable Sounds Broadway Big Band

Home Forums Software Fable Sounds Broadway Big Band

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

I’m planning to invest in this before the year is over (the Big Band).

Fable Sounds

Has anyone out there heard or experienced anything negative about this product?
    Thanks!

#23031 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I have Broadway Lites. It’s a great library. I got it on sale.
    I haven’t felt compelled upgrade to the Broadway Big Band library.

I recently bought Projects SAM’s “Swing” and was somewhat disappointed. It’s great for certain types of unison brass and sax lines, but if you want to do any serious big band writing with proper numbers of instruments and voices, you still need something like Broadway Big Band.

Can I ask why you’re thinking about BBB instead of Sample Modeling’s instruments? Are you looking to do “big band” music or trying for that Broadway “pit orchestra” sound?

Cheers,
    Michael

#23033 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Thanks for the reply MichaelL. I’m mostly interested in straight ahead big band and R&B horn stuff. I wasn’t familiar with the Sample Modeling products. Do you have them? I briefly checked them out and it looks promising and much more affordable. The demo’s I listened to were pretty wet, which concerns me.
    I’ll dig into the site more later.
    Thanks again.

#23034 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Hi, Alan!

SM horns and saxes have long been on my wish list.

AFIK, Sample Modeling stuff is recorded completely dry, like Peter Siedlaczek’s earlier libraries, and VSL.

If you’re a wind player (I’m not), using a wind controller can add amazing realism!

Cheers,
    Michael

#23039 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Thanks MichaelL. I just watched this:

I’m ordering SM Trumpets now
    😉

#23041 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

I just installed SM “The Trumpet 3”
    wow…
    I won’t be sleeping any time soon 😉
    Thanks for the tip MichaelL

#23044 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I just installed SM “The Trumpet 3”
    wow…

Quite a demo!

#23045 Reply
    PolarSounds
    Participant

Straight Ahead samples are also coming out with a jazz horns library and judging by the demos I’ve heard it would be great for big band. It should have been released May this year but are delayed though, so not sure when it will be available.
    http://straightaheadsamples.com
    Like Michael, I also got Swing! by project Sam and got a bit disappointed. Its not really flexable enough to do convincing big band pieces on its own, I can’t do it anyway. But it has a nice Fender jazz bass and a pedal steel guitar I have used a lot.
    I have most of the Sample Modeling instruments and they have to be the most playable sampled instruments out there. They all sound great as solo instruments, but I haven’t been able to get them to sound as good in sections. I get some phasing problems when the instruments are playing unison. But I’m sure its user error cause the demos on their site sounds good.

#23046 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Aren’t SM physically modelled , no actual samples ?

#23047 Reply
    PolarSounds
    Participant

They use samples recorded in a anechoic chamber as a source for the physical modeling, I think. As the name implies 🙂 But there are no sampled legato or articulations.

#23048 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Someone said what i was gonna say. 🙂

#23049 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Like Michael, I also got Swing! by project Sam and got a bit disappointed. Its not really flexable enough to do convincing big band pieces on its own,

SWING is OK if you’re going to layer it. That adds one more touch of realism, especially if you add anything live over it.

But, you’re absolutely right. You cannot do a convincing Big Bang track with it.

Straight Ahead samples are also coming out with a jazz horns library and judging by the demos I’ve heard it would be great for big band. It should have been released May this year but are delayed though, so not sure when it will be available.

Got tired of waiting for that, which is why I bought SWING. The two libraries are like night and day. You can definitely so some serious arranging with the Straight Ahead brass. Live and learn.

#23050 Reply
    PolarSounds
    Participant

Got tired of waiting for that, which is why I bought SWING. The two libraries are like night and day. You can definitely so some serious arranging with the Straight Ahead brass. Live and learn.

The exact same reason I bought Swing! And its by no means a useless library as it has many useful patches.

#23055 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

I’m still on my honeymoon with the SM Trumpet and I already cheated. I bought the saxes today 🙂

I dropped in a 16 bar 5-way sax soli I was working on and it sounded great before I added any expression controllers. This should be a fun week!

#23056 Reply
    PolarSounds
    Participant

The saxes are great! Did you get the Kontakt version or the SWAM version?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
Reply To: Fable Sounds Broadway Big Band
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us