FauxMusicSupe response for supporting TAXI

Home Forums General Questions FauxMusicSupe response for supporting TAXI

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    bigg rome

Something about the mix was not right. Also, the transition in the song could have been better. BLAH BLAH BLAH.  That same song has made me $4,000 total from various placements. The song is not some cheap sounding demo.

Judging songs for tv/film should be different than judging songs for album placements.

The A&R’s are the main problem with TAXI. Plus, ‘directly to supervisor’ still gets forwarded through TAXI, so it doesn’t go directly to their ears until after a screening also. Narip 100% over TAXI anyday of the week. Plus no in-between mess.

#6263 Reply
    bigg rome

Advice,

Have you seen any placements with TAXI? Forwards to me are meaningless unless they hit the target. It’s like saying almost.

#6285 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Bigg Rome

I’ve signed library deals through Taxi as well as FMN and on my own. These are libraries that have made placements for me. Tons of people have had placements due to Taxi. There are big lists of placement successes on their forum.  I know the people involved in those placements personally… It’s all very real and true.

Again, I’m not saying that Taxi is the only way or works for everyone. Go with what works best for you.

🙂

#6470 Reply
    bigg rome

When asked do you use Taxi? A panel of well known music supervisors said in altogether in  unison (NO)!

Hilarious.

#6485 Reply
    Steve

“When asked do you use Taxi? A panel of well known music supervisors said in altogether in  unison (NO)!

Hilarious.”

Yeah, and I’m sure that every music supervisor in the world was on that panel.

Look, Taxi is a tool.  One of many.  You can use it, or not use it.  Who cares.  I’ve made 10’s of thousands of dollars off of one Taxi deal and plenty more off of connections I’ve made at the convention.  I know some people who have done a lot better than me with Taxi, and others who have done no where near as well as me.  Its just a marketing tool, and like all marketing tools, YMMV.

I don’t know why you are on the warpath with Taxi.  They aren’t doing anything underhanded, and their convention is definitely worth the membership fee IMO.  Even fauxmusicsupe thinks so.  If you don’t like them, then don’t use them.  Give it a rest.

#6505 Reply
    Gus

“I don’t know why you are on the warpath with Taxi.  They aren’t doing anything underhanded, and their convention is definitely worth the membership fee IMO”.

I agree 100%. I don’t know why some folks have this total hate for TAXI and will go out of their way to talk trash about them.

I’ve been a member on and off since the late 90’s and one thing I can say is that they are very transparent in their dealings. Heck you can probably even make an appointment with Michael and go see how they do business for yourself. But other than that just talk to any of the people on the Taxi forum who have been successful with the service (which there are a LOT of).

#6509 Reply
    MichaelL

“I don’t know why you are on the warpath with Taxi.  They aren’t doing anything underhanded, and their convention is definitely worth the membership fee IMO”.

People like to blame the messenger.

#6510 Reply
    bigg rome

Michael L as in Michael Laskow owner of Taxi.

If anybody getting worked up its your guys.

Okay Iget you want to marry TAXI, but don’t hate me

cause I posted something that was actually true.

#6525 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

“Michael L as in Michael Laskow owner of Taxi.”

If you are trying to imply that MichaelL, on MLR, is Michael Laskow of Taxi you are so far off base as to be laughable.

#7099 Reply
    eightyeightkeys

Screener inconsistency is a big reason I have a problem with Taxi.

In one instance, two listings separated by about two months, had identical submission criteria….right down to the exact same wording. I submitted the same composition that was forwarded on the first listing and rejected on the second listing…by the same screener number !  This “return” was overturned by the head screener after I pointed out the ridiculousness of it.

Another completely different listing asked for instrumental tracks of very current pop songs.  This was a total shoe in for me since I had recently completed a group of tracks for a high end karaoke company  that requires “exact duplication-right down to the panning of the instrumentation.” The karaoke producers were “delighted” with my tracks.

So, for this listing, I simply used the sounds etc… tweaked them sufficiently adding new parts/sections….removing some parts/sections…bringing it down to the required length etc…..submitted them thinking that this was a no brainer forward. They were rejected citing that the tracks were “too safe…use of dated sounds…bla, bla” the whole thing just wreaked of some idiot playing big Taxi screener. These same tracks were immediately signed by an exclusive library on my first try.

I haven’t submitted anything to Taxi since. The whole Taxi “middle-man/screener” deal has left me with an impression that the Taxi process is a crap shoot. The screener is NOT the client and the client may have a completely different reaction to tracks submitted…as is illustrated by my rather recent experience with Taxi above.

ymmv

#7101 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

“Michael L as in Michael Laskow owner of Taxi.”

If you are trying to imply that MichaelL, on MLR, is Michael Laskow of Taxi you are so far off base as to be laughable.”

Thanks Art. Yeah…ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

NO I AM NOT Michael Laskow. This kind of thinking is a prime example of why some people do not do well in this business. They make too many assumptions and/ or conjectures about how things get done, and who is involved, etc.

Sorry big Rome..two different guys …..3,000 miles apart. The closest I’ve come to Taxi, is riding in one!

MichaelL (NOT LASKOW)

#17627 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

It seems the real supes are at Narip, mores because they always on that site showing someone. Plus the admin is way cheaper. I want to see a working active major supe name from past Taxi conference, not some A&R who is out of a job, cause the record industry has changed.

But I trust Narip a heck of a lot more.

I actually joined NARIP for a year. I didn’t get much out of it. But this is only because most of the opportunities to meet Music supervisors were in L.A., NYC, Nashville, or Atlanta. If I stayed in one of those cities, I would probably rejoin in an instant.

#17643 Reply
    AaronM

I was a member back in 2006-2007 whilst trying to make it as an artist. I received some great critiques, several forwards and 0 deals. I meant renew my membership but the fees were too expensive for me at the time.

#17645 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Taxi and companies like that work for some just not for me. I was a member. $1500 in membership renewals. I went from a forward here and there to no forwards at all. Maybe I just kept getting worse every year. I wasn’t even getting critiques anymore because of “deadlines” so I thought what do you do if a slot machine never pays off when you gamble your money? You move on before you’re broke.
    In fairness,I don’t fault their model. They do what they say they do. You pay them, they listen to your music and forward it if they decide to and not if they decide not to. Clear away all the advertising smoke and glitter and that’s really all they ever say they’d do.You might get a useful critique, you might not.You might get nothing, you might get something but they will always get paid. That’s how it works.
    Some can do well with that.I didn’t. Not their fault.They didn’t promise me anything more than what I got.
    Sometimes you find out what doesn’t work before you find out what does.In my case, I was the former.
    These days I’ll give up some publishing or sync fees in exchange for getting “something” I won’t do any more “give us your money first and we’ll see” deals. I give you music and when you get money “from” my music it is because you did something “for” my music.That’s it.

#17640 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

I was a member and got the impression that Taxi does well for folks learning the ropes of the business, or for folks who were getting placements and wanted to take the risk on joining hoping that Taxi contacts would get them into libraries cover their membership fees. I learned a lot through them which gave me a springboard and enough confidence to try things on my own, which actually led me here. I think their marketing tactic of mentioning huge success stories set a lot of members up for unrealistic expectations and frustrations (Composer X got 50000 placements through Taxi!). If I saw evidence that Taxi was consistently helping composers make back their membership fees at least I would likely rejoin. Have to give Michael Laskow credit for being smart enough that if he were to come to these forums, he would likely use a pseudonym which wouldn’t be Michael L (: .

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
Reply To: FauxMusicSupe response for supporting TAXI
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us