Giving out stems ?

Home Forums General Questions Giving out stems ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Musicmatters
    Participant

I was recently contacted by a library (NE) for stems to one of my tracks. Before i give them i was wondering if it would be to my benefit. Giving out stems means that they would have the ability to alter my track or perhaps collect sync and obviously not share it. Once I give them the stems, the only thing I might see is a little back end, i would imagine. Maybe I can have them draw an agreement before giving the stems and perhaps ask for some compensation, any ideas folks ? Thank you 🙂

#17077 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

One thing to be aware of with stems is sample library licenses and conditions, a drum track stem may contravene that, for example if you are using sample lib loops as the main element. Spectrasonics have conditions about their sounds in isolation too, be careful.

#17079 Reply
    Sean

Personally, I would only give the stems out if the library owns the copyright. Or, more importantly paid up front as WFH. That’s just my opinion based on recently giving stems to one of these libraries, and that was part of the delivery. Probably not saying anything new to you though.

If the original contract for the NE says that they may ask for stems from time to time, that’s a different story.

#17085 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I would not do it unless I got paid upfront.

#17087 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

My first question for the library (or search in your contract):

If the cue is altered by the library, is your writer’s share to be split with the (house) composer that altered it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Giving out stems ?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us