Hollywood Studios Sued for Recycling Soundtracks

Home Forums Commentary Hollywood Studios Sued for Recycling Soundtracks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    eightyeightkeys
    Participant

Art said we should start a new thread because we started to make commentary on the state of the biz in an unrelated thread….so, here goes a whopper !

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/28/hollywood-studios-sued-for-recycling-old-movie-soundtracks?CMP=share_btn_fb

And the AF of M is suing ! Has hell frozen over ?…no one told me.

#21789 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Important to note that this suit is not with respect to copyright violations. It’s the union suing about re-use without the musicians being paid “re-use” fees.

This action is a double-edged sword. On one hand, you have to applaud the AFM for making an effort on behalf of its members. On the other hand, some will argue that the AFM is only providing further incentive for scores to be recorded outside the US and / or with samples.

As far as the copyright issues are concerned, the scores were most likely done on a WFH basis and, as such, the property of the studios. In which case, they would generally be free to do what the wish with the music.

#21791 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

The lawsuit doesn’t make sense to me. If no copyright was violated, there is no problem to me. I think more score music should be recycled. Some of it works well in multiple projects.

#21792 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

The lawsuit doesn’t make sense to me. If no copyright was violated, there is no problem to me. I think more score music should be recycled. Some of it works well in multiple projects.

Film scores recorded in LA are generally done under contracts governed by the American Federation of Musicians (AFM), which contain rules for everything from how many tracks can be recorded per hour and pension fund payments to re-use fees.

The issue here is re-use fees and contracts that specifically limited the use of union players performances, without additional compensation.

Like I said, it’s not about copyrights. It’s about union rules.

#21793 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

“The issue here is re-use fees and contracts that specifically limited the use of union players performances, without additional compensation.”

I still get payments for records I played on in the 60s and 70s for re-use. Re-use = “a good thing”!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Hollywood Studios Sued for Recycling Soundtracks
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us