How long did it take you before you got your first placement?

Home Forums General Questions How long did it take you before you got your first placement?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Chuck Mott

For myself no placements yet, three years in. RF sales that is it. One recent use in a radio ad. Others for web video. I’m not sure where my P5 stuff gets used, as far as I can tell they don’t report that, which is too bad because they are my most consistently selling library. Ditto for PTrax. So i can only report useage for AS. Some stuff in some libraries for 2 years now, but honestly the first year was kind of a learning curve as far as where to target. If no film or tv placements through NE in the next couple of years will probably focus strictly on RF. I would hope by then that money wise the film and tv stuff would be outpacing RF tracks. If that is not the case by that time would have no issue with focusing exclusively on RF. My goal this year is at least one film/tv placement.

#21664 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Yeah, it’s frustrating when you don’t know how your music is being used. I had two ambient tracks used in an underwater series up in Canada but was never told how to contact anyone to be able to see them.

#21665 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Wouldn’t really say frustrating, as long as if it is due to earn royalties that those are paid. Has been said before that RF is not the way to go if you are primarily concerned with tv placements. What would be frustrating is 5 years of tagging/uploading/creating to NE or, worse, exclusive libraries years with no placements.

#21666 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

> and then went on to start our own music production and distribution company, Partners In Rhyme Inc.<

I noticed Partners In Rhyme provided music to one of my favorite movies on Netflix these days – “It’s a Disater”. Some nice classical pieces that work really well with picture.

#21667 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

My first placement was on NBC, a soap opera called “Passions”. I had worked with the person who placed it for probably a year or so prior. She eventually got me on many episodes of “One Life to Live”, “All My Children” and etc. Sure was a different time then! Good up-front sync fees and great performance royalties. Too bad the soaps never re-ran!

#21668 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

It would also be fun/interesting to see some of the ways our music has been used. Links to YouTube videos, etc?

Here are a few commercials from RF sales with the exception of the first one and last two. http://artmunsonmusic.com/video/

#21670 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

This is a recent one. My track starts with Larry David and runs to the end.

http://tinyurl.com/kkmdokn

#21674 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Haney Project Theme Music: comes in around 1:05 (w/ Sugar Ray Leonard) http://www.golfchannel.com/media/haney-project-2012-episode-4/

Laura Benanti Holiday Film: @ 8:03 to the end

#21676 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Early on I hit RF at exactly the right time and made a killing, so I wasn’t too worried about TV placements. After reading some of Art’s posts, I decided to shoot for TV type libraries as well. It took two years and my very first placement was easily the worst, cheesiest track in my library. You just never know what will land!

#21678 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Good to know. At just over a hundred tracks I’m really kind of behind the 8 ball as far as numbers go. I would say the same about my first RF sale, I was like 50 some tracks and they chose that? Then it sold again. Go figure.

#21679 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

#21680 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

A very young me at 1.20 from 1990

#21681 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

My 1st placement was an inside employee only video so can’t link to it. But this was my second. This Piggy Paint commercial ran for a limited time in a few major US cities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W6GDoidKtw

#21682 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Art, how did you do your video embed thing? Pretty cool.

#21683 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@daveydad A wordpress plugin called Cool Video Gallery.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
Reply To: How long did it take you before you got your first placement?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us