How much royalty free music makes it to broadcast?

Home Forums Newbie Questions How much royalty free music makes it to broadcast?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    soundslikejoe
    Participant

Regarding Competitrack:

From my experience, here’s what I’ve learned about Competitrack and ASCAP.

All commercial royalty payments from ASCAP use Competitrack as the verification process. This is a recent (last couple of years) change and is the only method that ASCAP uses to verify commercial plays. No cue sheets or census for commercials…. at least that’s how it was explained to me.

Competitrack is a service for ad agencies and has no skin in the PRO-game. They do not track all commercials. They only track commercials from their clients, so the agency has to have a Competitrack account for the ad to track. Not all plays are tracked either… Competitrack doesn’t monitor every network from what I can tell.

I called Competitrack to learn more and they were surprised to know how ASCAP was using their service. She stated that their main focus was tracking plays for media buyers and that it was not a holistic tracking service for all performances.

*disclaimer – This is all from memory and off the top of my head. Just wanted to put what I’ve heard from ASCAP and Competitrack into the record.

#18705 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Great topic. Does anyone have any updated info?

#18712 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

I would be interested in hearing more on this also…..

#18717 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

This is really like asking “how many oranges are in a apple pie?”

RF libraries are not where you put your music, if your focus is on broadcast placements.

Old thread.

#18737 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

RF libraries are not where you put your music, if your focus is on broadcast placements.

True, but if your RF music is used for broadcast purposes, royalties should still be collected.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: How much royalty free music makes it to broadcast?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us