How much to charge for a blanket license?

Home Forums General Questions How much to charge for a blanket license?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I was recently approached by a music supervisor for a new reality show, on one of the smaller cable networks, about using our music library. We currently have about 1200 cues counting alt mixes. I’m trying to get some feedback on what a realistic license fee would be for such a situation. I doubt the back end would be huge as it’s a small network.

Any thoughts?

#26156 Reply
    Paolo

I’m trying to get some feedback on what a realistic license fee would be for such a situation

Hi Art. I’m looking at a similar situation and after doing a search here, I came across this old post of yours but had no replies. Did you find a range/formula for a blanket license fee?

How about some of the other composers here at the forum? Have you found a range or formula for what libraries/ publishers/composers charge for their blanket licenses?

Thank you for any insight into this.

#26159 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Did you find a range/formula for a blanket license fee?

Never really got an answer but I pulled a number out of the air of $2k. Our library is much larger now but I never did have any takers.

#26160 Reply
    Paolo

thank Art. Although they didn’t take it, I thought your quote of 2k/yr ($1.60 a track) seemed fair.

Do you think the Exl and Non-Excl libraries we typically work with charge less than $1.60 a track? But maybe I’ll also have to pull a number out of the air.

Would the folks at the PMA help by sharing a range of blanket license rates that PMA member libraries are charging? While they they don’t tell each other their rates, I imagine they know the range.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: How much to charge for a blanket license?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us