How To Get PRO Money From RF Lbs

Home Forums General Questions How To Get PRO Money From RF Lbs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    NY Composer
    Participant

Hey Guys,

I have not got a placement yet from a RF library.

One of them states that since I get 100 percent of the publisher and Writer, That I should register the song myself with my PRO.

Should I be registering my tunes or let the que sheet from the RF lib take care of that?

#24820 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Should I be registering my tunes or let the que sheet from the RF lib take care of that?

The cue sheet comes from the production company of the show not the library. You should register yourself as long as you haven’t given up administration of your publishing to the RF company. The only RF company I know that does this is AS. In their case they register, file cue sheet with PRO and collect the publishing income as their fee.

If it’s not AS then you would have to register and make sure the cue sheet is filed with your PRO. If not filed you will have to chase down the production company to make sure they do so. Best to wait until after statement to see if you were paid. Don’t bug the production company unless you are absolutely sure!

#24821 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

I am with AS and do know that they put their own code on my catalog.

Here is what I was talking about. A quote from P5:

“We don’t deal in performance rights admin at all at this time. The artist retains 100% of their publishing and needs to set that up themselves. We have fields for artists to input their PRO / composer info and we strongly encourage buyers to submit cue sheets.”

#24824 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

P5 would fall under what I said here:

“If it’s not AS then you would have to register and make sure the cue sheet is filed with your PRO. If not filed you will have to chase down the production company to make sure they do so. Best to wait until after statement to see if you were paid. Don’t bug the production company unless you are absolutely sure!”

With most of the RF sites you will not know who the buyer is. You would need to do some detective work to find the production company (buyer) for the show. IMDB is a good place to start.

#24827 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

“If it’s not AS then you would have to register and make sure the cue sheet is filed with your PRO. If not filed you will have to chase down the production company to make sure they do so. Best to wait until after statement to see if you were paid. Don’t bug the production company unless you are absolutely sure!”

Not to confuse the issue but you would probably never know if the cue sheet was filled out properly because P5 is not going to tell me about any placement in the first place. If I am lost please correct me :-). So in the case of any RF, I should register my own song as 200 percent with my PRO?

#24828 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Not to confuse the issue but you would probably never know if the cue sheet was filled out properly because P5 is not going to tell me about any placement in the first place.

Correct.

So in the case of any RF, I should register my own song as 200 percent with my PRO?

Yes.

#24829 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Thank you Sir for straightening that out.

Now for the folks on the board who say never register your own songs and let the libraries do it when used. I don’t know what to say….

#24830 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Now for the folks on the board who say never register your own songs and let the libraries do it when used.

Those libraries register with their own title or a code attached to your title. Different scenario than an RF site.

#24831 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Correct but the fact that you have self registered your own material as 200 percent, should not interfere with any other Lib using the same song I hope.

#24836 Reply
    Chuck Mott

This is one of the reason for retitling, I believe. They register the retitle with themselves as the publisher and in your writer account with you as writer.

#24837 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Not to confuse the issue but you would probably never know if the cue sheet was filled out properly because P5 is not going to tell me about any placement in the first place.

It’s worth mentioning that AS stands out in this regard. You receive a notice of your placement and who the buyer was, as well as a copy of the cue sheet notice that AS provides the buyer when the placement may be subject to royalties.

#24843 Reply
    music123

You never have anything to lose by registering your own titles as writer and publisher even if a non-exclusive publisher (or RF/ NE Publisher) is also registering those same titles or re-titling your original title. In fact, I think it’s a good practice to register your first, original title (as writer and ORIGINAL publisher ideally) at your PRO.

I can not say I have done this with my own catalog because it is a lot of data entry work, but I do plan on playing catch up one of these days. I have seen production companies make mistakes to writers benefit. They research the title at the PRO. They then discover writer is_____and publisher is (your publishing company).

I notice they have cue sheeted my publishing company, as opposed to the NE publisher (where they found the cue). This mistake gave me publishing credit and therefore publishing royalties. You can not register your cues as publisher if you sign exclusive deals because exclusive companies typically control the music 100% and are the original and only publisher in most cases.

#24848 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Music123,

I have always done this as standard practice, even before I knew what a Lib was. I just don’t know in what instance I should NEVER register with my PRO 200 percent. Some people seem to think it can interfere with all types of Libs. However, I know regardless of how you register, Libs such as AS, etc register your titles with their own code..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: How To Get PRO Money From RF Lbs
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us