itin number and libraries

Home Forums General Questions itin number and libraries

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    andrej
    Participant

Hello, I was wondering why certain US based libraries require itin number for non US composers to be exemp from US taxes and others don’t.

#16829 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

The difference is probably that some have a good accountant, and others don’t. If you make more than $600 and the US company doesn’t file a 1099 at the end of the year with your ITIN number, they are liable for the income tax on your sales, which I have been told is usually at a rate of more than 20%. The only other option is for the company to withhold that money from your payments, but it is more work for them and their accountant.

Disclaimer – I am not an accountant and you should get professional advice on this subject.

Instead of going in person to an embassy, you can call the IRS in the USA and get an ITIN over the phone, according to this discussion about iBooks:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3105682?start=15&tstart=0

I phoned this number (Apply for EIN by phone, international applicants): 1 (267) 941 1099
    The 1 is American country code, 267 is the area code.

It literally took only 15 mins on the phone, including hold time, before I got my EIN number! It was very easy!

#16831 Reply
    jaapvisser
    Participant

It is as easy as Mark is quoting from the post from Apple.

I made a call to the IRS, I had downloaded already an SS-4 form, filled that in for myself. They ask questions on the phone from that form. You answer and voila within without kidding 15 minutes you get a EIN number from them which you can use straight away. I got the official letter from the IRS in about 4 weeks.

#16859 Reply
    andrej
    Participant

That’s an excellent news then ,thank you guys I was sort of discouraged about getting itin number reading some older posts on the subject.

#23314 Reply
    PatrickM
    Participant

Hi,
    Hopefully someone can help me understand this.
    I’m still not 100% clear on this US ITIN/EIN/Tax story.
    I currently live in Chile but do my banking in the UK and I’m pretty sure there isn’t a tax treaty between the US and Chile so if I had an ITIN or EIN number, would that actually help me get back any tax withheld by the IRS in the US or would it not matter since there is no treaty between Chile and the US?? OR… Should I get an ITIN/EIN and use my British nationality for accounting matters? SO CONFUSING! HELP!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: itin number and libraries
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us