Home Forums Composer Interviews Joe – Composer Interview

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

1.) Your name?

Joe

2.) Any credits you care to mention?

Multiple placements in shows on MTV, MTV2, VH1, NBC, FOX, CBS, CW, Bravo, Discovery, TLC, and History to name a few, a few promos and movie trailers as well as about a dozen or so commercials for grocery stores, cell phones, and various other products.

3.) How long have you been writing music?

Nearly 20 years, but only “professionally” for 5 years

4.) How did you get started?

Like a lot of musicians, I originally just started tinkering around with instrument on my own and eventually transitioned into recording.

5.) How long have you been writing library/production music?

5 years

6.) Are you making a living wage writing library/production music?

Yes, thank God.

7.) Do you care to give any general figures of earnings (low/mid/high 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 figures)?

Mid 5 figures. Its been consistently rising overall, hopefully that trend continues for at least a few more years.

8.) Are you self-taught or have you studied formally?

Completely self taught.

9.) Do you work through music libraries?

Yes.

9a.) If so are they exclusive and/or non-exclusive libraries?

Both. I think its good to have a mixed strategy and hit as many markets as possible.

10.) Do you contact music supervisors, music editors or TV production companies directly?

I haven’t yet, although I plan to change that starting next year.

10a.) If so how do you approach them?

I don’t know (obviously), but my guess is that its best to develop you’re own strategy based on your individual personality. What works for someone else might not work for you.

11.) How do you deal with rejection?

I just move on. I don’t even give it a second thought anymore. I know what I can do, and I know that I can make money for myself as well as publishers and libraries because I HAVE made money for myself and publishers/libraries. Just because one person rejects you, doesn’t mean everybody will. You just gotta keep at it.

12.) How do you feel about re-titling?

Overall, it doesn’t bother me. In a perfect world, every library would be exclusive AND pay their composers an advance or buyout fee. But that obviously isn’t the world we live in, unfortunately. I definitely prefer the non-exclusive model over any other for independent artists and bands who are trying to “make it”. They may only write 10 or 20 songs in their entire career and, IMO, with a catalog that small its important to retain ownership of their copyright.

13.) What do you have the most success with, royalty free sites or back end PRO royalties?

Back end PRO royalties for sure, although I have seen a good bit of growth this year in royalty free sales and they are becoming a good source of income for me. I’d say I probably make around half of my yearly income in PRO royalties, and the other half comes from a combination of sync fees, advances, buyouts, commercials/jingles, and royalty free sales.

14.) Any tips about writing descriptions, keywords and/or metadata?

Keep it relevant and be honest. Use “a la’s” and words that describe the mood of your track and the kind of scene it would be good for.

15.) Any trends you would like to comment on (YouTube Content ID, Internet Royalties)?

I really don’t like the trend of libraries “going exclusive” and not paying any advances or buyouts to composers or at least offering some kind of opportunity that they can’t get elsewhere. I just shake my head when I see these exclusive libraries whose credits are mostly made up of cable shows that I know don’t care about exclusivity and/or only do gratis licensing.

16.) What sort of advice would you give to someone just entering the library/production music world?

Work hard and constantly try to think of new ways to monetize your passion for music. As long as you aren’t being taken advantage of by a bad deal, keep an open mind about things and don’t turn your nose up at anybody or their business model. You never know where your next big check (or checks) will come from!

And finally!

17.) If you were not writing music what would you be doing?

Who knows… I try not to think about it haha! Probably working freelance or running another business unrelated to the music biz.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Composer Interviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us