Keeping tabs on music placements (BMI)

Home Forums Newbie Questions Keeping tabs on music placements (BMI)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Thanks for the information, guys! Yeah, I think I’m just looking for little inspiring tidbits of “hey, a track was placed here or there…” etc. I’m not really searching for info on possible money amounts (etc) prior to each quarter. Too speculative.

Great info!

* On a side note: have you ever explained this entire business model to somebody outside of the music industry? Just curious if I’m the only one who gets the pan-faced “what-the-frick?!” response, lol.

#20287 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

* On a side note: have you ever explained this entire business model to somebody outside of the music industry? Just curious if I’m the only one who gets the pan-faced “what-the-frick?!” response, lol.

Yeah….bankers, especially, don’t get it. 🙁

#20290 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

Personally i like the fact that i’m not aware of the majority of my placements until i get the statement.It’s fun to see where your music ended up.

And yes,when people ask me about this business model,i feel like i’m explaining advanced math to my dog!

#20291 Reply
    Steve Ballard

Yeah….bankers, especially, don’t get it. 🙁

lol true

Kevin O’leary of the Shark Tank TV show once told a band that came on the show that the music business was the worst business you could ever get in to.

#20292 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

>I admit I check in there almost everyday, It’s maybe a unhealthy compulsion. But I bet others here also do that. I hope I’m not the only one.<

I can rationalize frequent cue sheet checking. 🙂 I think knowing who is placing what where can guide you in knowing what to create next, and who to send it to. You can also tell what tracks are performing well and use that information.

#27172 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

Also,BMI states that if you’ve earned less than $250 in a quarter,the money will be transferred to your next statement (or whenever you exceed the $250 mark – this means you don’t get a statement until you reach $250).At least that’s for those who live overseas,maybe it’s not the same for a U.S. citizen (i’m not sure but i remember something about a very low limit for the U.S. citizens,something like $20?again i could be wrong,maybe someone else could share some info about it)

i don’t like the sound of this. is this also the same situation with ASCAP members? this waiting game is killing me.

#27173 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I think ASCAP will send you any amount, as long as you are setup for direct deposit.

#27184 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

IMO, I think it’s unfair that BMI will not show you any placements or stats unless you exceed the 250.00 mark.

#27185 Reply
    Frequencee
    Participant

BMI will also send you any amount over $2 I think was the minimum if you are setup for direct deposit. I remember my first statement was for $10 and the 2nd for $25. I got paid and it generated a statement. If you are not setup for direct deposit that’s where the $250 minimum comes into play

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Keeping tabs on music placements (BMI)
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us