Making music that is easily editable

Home Forums General Questions Making music that is easily editable

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Library Musicman
    Participant

Hi,

I’m wondering if anyone can chip in to offer advice on how to best make library music that is editable as it’s something I’m finding difficult to do with my music and I believe I’m not selling so well as a result.

I’ve been recommended the following, but wondering if there’s anything else I should be doing:

• Provide 30s, 60s and underscore versions
    • Try to keep the track to a single idea i.e. don’t create too many changes throughout the track
    • Have a clear intro and ending

I wrote a track called The Happy Life a while back that I’ve found is highly editable and I think that’s why it’s so popular, but I don’t seem to be able to reproduce that kind of ‘editability’ in my other music.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

#25595 Reply
    Musicmatters
    Participant

Frequent start and stops to the music will help. Keep in mind harmonic resolutions, cadences and that sort of thing. Try to think in phrases and try to give a moment of silence between phrases. Hope that helps 🙂

#25596 Reply
    PolarSounds
    Participant

Also some good info here:

Cue Tips

#25600 Reply
    Library Musicman
    Participant

Thank you both for the advice.

@Musicmatters
    – how frequent would you recommend stopping and starting? I’m assuming at key points like 30s, 1m and maybe 2m? I tend to keep my tracks around 2m – 2m30s in length, but I’m wondering if I should be aiming for longer…

@PolarSounds – great post, thanks for pointing me to that!

#25601 Reply
    Dave

In my opinion, if you don’t incorporate pauses in the original track, then a remix is needed for the shorter cues of 30, 15, and 5 seconds to sound the most professional.

#25602 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

…or even chord ring outs between sections that allow you to drop in a dead stop , in addition to or in place of stops and starts. I I swear sometimes keeping tempos in multiples of 30 helps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Making music that is easily editable
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us