Home Forums Composer Interviews Mike Walpole – Composer Interview

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

1.) Your name?

?Mike Walpole

2.) Any credits you care to mention?

I have been blessed to have my music in a Mastercard commercial and currently have music being used in promos for the NBC show Grimm

3.) How long have you been writing music?

For fun – since I was a kid. In a more professional capacity – 2 years

4.) How did you get started?

It all started with Eddie Van Halen and the “Panama” video

5.) How long have you been writing library/production music?

2 years

6.) Are you making a living wage writing library/production music?

Not yet. Hoping that happens when I get to the magic “500” number. Got about 230 more to go.

7.) Do you care to give any general figures of earnings (low/mid/high 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 figures)?

Currently making 4 figures. My BMI statements have been doubling every quarter though, so I take that as a good sign.

8.) Are you self-taught or have you studied formally?

Self Taught

9.) Do you work through music libraries?

Yes

9a.) If so are they exclusive and/or non-exclusive libraries?

Both

10.) Do you contact music supervisors, music editors or TV production companies directly?

Yes

10a.) If so how do you approach them?

Networking

11.) How do you deal with rejection?

I’m horrible with rejection. I use to get really down on myself and want to quit, but I have an amazing wife who has always been my biggest supporter. I can honestly say I would not be anywhere close to where I am at in my “career” if it wasn’t for her. She is the reason I write music.

12.) How do you feel about re-titling?

Doesn’t really bother me

13.) What do you have the most success with, royalty free sites or back end PRO royalties?

Back end. I’ve had minor to no success with RF sites and huge payouts from back end royalties, so I’m not sure what my problem is. Haha.

14.) Any tips about writing descriptions, keywords and/or metadata?

Just try to capture the mood of the track and have good keywords

15.) Any trends you would like to comment on (YouTube Content ID, Internet Royalties)?

nope

16.) What sort of advice would you give to someone just entering the library/production music world?

Don’t. haha. In all seriousness though, I guess the best advice I could give would be – do your homework about how up front payments and back end royalties work. So many people think that they should get a check for everything that gets placed and that’s just not how libraries work. There’s a huge misconception that library music is an easy way to make money, and in reality it’s a long hard road
    And finally!

17.) If you were not writing music what would you be doing?

Continuing with my day job as a Graphic Designer. Thanks for this opportunity to share!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Composer Interviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us