New iMac.

Home Forums Hardware New iMac.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John

Hi All!

I’ve been looking to replace my poor old 2007 iMac with a new one.

I spoke to somebody at the store I usually deal with and they said I should hurry up and buy at a particular price because the iMac is being superseded by an upgraded model.

Was this sales talk or does anyone know if there is an updated model coming out?

As someone who has learnt from bitter experience not to buy without first exploring all possibilities I would be grateful if anyone has any knowledge they can pass on.

Thank you.

John

#22746 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I think you should wait if you can – I was just discussing this with a friend. Apple is ‘likely’ to introduce better versions of the cheaper iMacs at their unveiling on the 9th.
    The current iMac doesn’t take a lot of RAM, hopefully the new ones will be better in that regard.
    Check out this great site for Apple rumors: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com

#22759 Reply
    AlpacaRoom
    Participant

Yeah, definitely wait to buy an iMac. They’re announcing new models next week, probably including a 21.5-inch retina model.

Truth be told, though, I’m running a mid-2011 21.5-inch quad-core i7 iMac, 12GB of RAM, and it’s holding up pretty well. I’m running some 96k sessions right now (not my choice!), and certain plugins are hogs at 96k, but if you’re recording at 48k like a regular person, even “last year’s model” will be more than enough (although if you run a lot of samples, you’ll need a ton of RAM, and it’s not user-serviceable anymore — this is a HUGE problem). The i7 iMacs are beasts.

But wait for the new ones, even if you’re going to buy an old one.

#22761 Reply
    John

Thanks Mark.

That’s fantastic advice!!

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: New iMac.
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us