New Samples – should I redo and replace existing songs?

Home Forums Newbie Questions New Samples – should I redo and replace existing songs?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TerlinguaMusic
    Participant

What would you do?

Most of my music features acoustic instruments (good ones, recorded through Neuman, AKG, AT, etc. mics with a decent pre and compressor). However, I’ve been using the drums, bass and piano that come with Logic.

I just invested in a few sample libraries, and the difference is material.

Here’s the question: I’ve got over 100 songs (including edits) in several libraries. No sales, yet- but they’ve only been up a month or so. Should I re-do my existing inventory and replace the old tracks with new mixes using the new samples?

The trade off is that if I’m doing that I’m not writing new songs. Obviously, I’d prefer to spend my time creating, but if doing the grunt work of replacing, remixing, remastering, and re-uploading is smart business I’m willing to do it.

Thoughts?

And, again, thanks!

#25985 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

There is a question of balance , absolutely revisit old tracks and update them, but don’t get obsessive and nitpicking or you will never get anything done. Also spend time away from tracks. I don’t know how many times I think I have created a masterpiece, only to revisit it a while later and have a WTF was I thinking moment. Don’t forget composers are much more tuned into the minutia of a track and sometimes miss the big picture, IMHO of course.

#25986 Reply
    TerlinguaMusic
    Participant

balance is an issue – I’m sprinting here. Running a marathon like it was a hundred yard dash.

Thanks for the perspective.

#25988 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Should I re-do my existing inventory and replace the old tracks with new mixes using the new samples?

A tough one. I mentioned in another thread that I recently spent a year and a half doing just that and I think it was worth it. I’ve already had sales on some of those track that hadn’t otherwise sold. On the other hand many of those older tracks still get placed on TV shows that were placed in libraries a while back. Like I said, a tough one.

#25989 Reply
    TerlinguaMusic
    Participant

Thanks, Art.

I ran it by Mike at P5, and he basically said “let it ride,” and focus on new tracks with the new samples.

I think if the songs were mostly created “in the box,” it would be an easier call. Since the main focus on most of them is either acoustic string instruments or piano (and I kinda like the Steinway in Logic), I’m going to go forward.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: New Samples – should I redo and replace existing songs?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us