No cue sheet file, is it piracy?

Home Forums General Questions No cue sheet file, is it piracy?

• This topic has 11 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Sean.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Greg

Ok, this is mostly not serious, but something to chew on.  We are all likely aware of hefty fines levied against music consumers for illegally downloaded music.  Isn’t the same thing happening to us when production companies use our music and don’t submit cue sheets?

Now I am not referring to gratis deals that some libraries have with certain networks.  I’m talking about shows that should submit cue sheets, but don’t.

thoughts?

#8370 Reply
    Wildman

Most Tv networks have a general agreement with the Pro in their countries. I would not call it piracy if an editor forgets to write the cue sheet. I would call it “indifference”. They simply don`t care, don`t have time and often don`t even know the consequences. The composer simply won`t get his deserved royalities.

Some Pros in Europe don`t even use monitoring systems so the quarterly payments are rough estimations.

For example. In 2011 I had around 500 usages on one particular TV Network but on my pro payment list I had “offically” just around 250 usages. Crazy, right !

Even though I have a tunesat list with a mp3 prove and even though the Pro knows that it`s  not correct, nothing will happen !

That`s real life my friends. You need to have soooo much more songs and usages that you can compensate 50% ! 🙂

#8376 Reply
    bigg rome

FUSE TV is notorious for not filing cue sheets. I HATE IT. I am c constantly hearing my songs on thier program. Anybody else going through this?

#8377 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

FUSE TV is notorious for not filing cue sheets. I HATE IT. I am c constantly hearing my songs on thier program. Anybody else going through this?

In another thread you asked about cue sheets for The Guy Code (I think).

Sorry to say Bigg, you’re talking about programming for a generation that thinks file sharing isn’t stealing. Good luck getting cue sheet respect.

#8382 Reply
    Jay

Wow…Fuse would be nothing without music..wouldn’t even exist – that’s messed up they don’t file cue sheets –

#15781 Reply
    Jay

Fuse just used one of my songs today…saw it on Tunesat..I guess no pay huh? the only cool thing was they were talking about Nirvana and The hall of fame induction..would’ve been COOLER if I got paid though…has anyone ever seen a cue sheet from Fuse? from what I’ve read (here) and heard they don’t pay the PRO’s..truth? fiction?

#15784 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I have cue sheets filed for music used on a Fuse show called “Hustle After Party” and another show called “50 Girls Who Run The World”. I guess I got lucky.

I don’t know if they have used anything else though.

#15786 Reply
    Jay

Thanks DI..I guess there’s a chance they’ll file one..

#15797 Reply
    Jay

Tunesat is really opening my eyes..2 uses on 2 networks/shows that i’ve never had placements with (or cue sheets from) before…my songs just became active there yesterday…the normal wait on cue sheets is around 9 months – right?

I did the free 50 account..I’m wondering what I would learn if I checked all my songs..scary..I had a MISERABLE payout from ASCAP this quarter..just miserable. I’ve worked way too hard on my music and even harder getting it placed not to get paid 🙁

#15798 Reply
    euca

@Jay, I had a cue sheet filed from Fuse, it was for a show called Hoppus on Music. It just showed up in my ascap account a few months ago, the show ended in 2012 and this episode was from 2011!!

Sure took them a bit to file that cue sheet, about 3 years. I’m sure I’ll never see a penny from it, I don’t think they run repeats on the show.

I was down this quarter also with ascap. Two steps forward one step back seems to be my pattern with them.

#15801 Reply
    Jay

thanks Euca…anyone have any luck with the NHL Network filing cue sheets?
    I had 2 uses of a song yesterday both for around a minute..Tunesat’s working for me..3 days 3 new placements and today is still young (6am).

My day will go like this..I’ll record for a bit before work..then work a full day at a job in another field (chef) and then come home and record some more.It’s really frustrating to know a lot of what I put out (seems to be) being used without any $ coming my way..it’s just wrong and i’m working on a new strategy for contacting MS’s directly…I know that’s a tough road but what other options are there?

back end is nice when it comes but if you saw what I got last quarter you’d understand my frustration 🙁

#15803 Reply
    Sean

I can’t comment on NHL placements, but I did have one on Fuse for Hoppus on music. I did get paid in January, but as mentioned they took a long time to file.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: No cue sheet file, is it piracy?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us