plugins for harmonica and dobro

Home Forums DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) plugins for harmonica and dobro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Paolo

Hello all,

I use logic pro X (Mac OS Yosemite) and am currently recording some slow-gritty blues tunes.

I’ve recording the rhythm section and some slide lead, but would also like to add some bluesy harmonica and dobro flavor – nothing fancy – just a taste of it here and there for the timbre and underlying flavor.

I’m in a bit of a time crunch (you heard that before) – can anyone recommend AU plugins for blues harmonica and dobro.

Thanks for your help.

#22614 Reply
    GM
    Participant

For what I’ve seen on youtube, 8dio’s dobro virtual instrument seems really good (I think they have two instruments, a solo and a strummer as well).

#22615 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Hi Paolo!

Chris Hein Harmonica is great!

http://www.chrishein.net/web/CH-Harmonica_Overview.html

Wavelore’s Glide Resonator Guitar
    http://www.wavelore.com/products.php?product=WLG

There’s a Dobro in East West’s RA, in the American instruments.

You might also want to check out Orange Tree’s “Slide Acoustic”
    https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products/slide-acoustic

Happy shopping!

Michael

#22616 Reply
    Paolo

Thank you GM and Michael! You guys are great!

I’m downloading the trial versions so I can pick the best matches (and the ones that are easiest for a guitar player to use 😉

Ah…I’ll be wailing and sliding in no time 🙂

#22617 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Indiginus do a really good slide guitar

#22618 Reply
    Paolo

thanks @woodsdenis!

#22624 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Didn’t know about the Indiginus slide. Love their guitars.
    Thanks for posting Denis.

Very affordable sample libraries!

#22644 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

I own and use 8Dio Dobro Solo. Great instrument. Got it during one of their sales for half off at a time when I was working on a pitch where it really came in handy.

#22668 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

How much does a virtual instrument like those cost? Years ago I bought an actual resonator guitar for about $350. It’s easily paid for itself. As a guitar player, why not do that? Inexpensive Resonator’s and Dobro’s are ok for library work (underlying flavor) because they don’t need a pristine neck and setup. The strings of course are not fretted so action and intonation is not a big concern.

#22669 Reply
    Paolo

How much does a virtual instrument like those cost? Years ago I bought an actual resonator guitar for about $350. It’s easily paid for itself. As a guitar player, why not do that?

Hi Michael N,

Thanks Michael for sharing your approach and how that would work for me – also being a guitar player.

I downloaded demos/trial versions for some of the virtual instruments that Michael L, Chuck, Dennis and GM had suggested.

Then, so I could figure out some dobro licks I would use for the virtual instruments, I dug-up an old Yamaha guitar (with slightly high action and a raspy tone), tuned it like a dobro and grabbed a glass bottle slide. And the licks just flowed-out – nothing like me on a keyboard! LOL!

And it turned out the Yamaha (along with a few insert effects) hinted at a dobro sound! Enough for what I needed – background flavor. So by following-up on everyone’s suggestions I ended up with an unexpected result.

#22670 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster
    #22671 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Cool! Be careful tuning it like a Dobro. Dobro tuning is typically GBDGBD. Tuning the low E string up to G and the fifth string A up to B puts extra tension on your neck. Dobro’s can handle the tension because of the thick square neck, but your old Yamaha guitar probably can’t. Try a typical slide guitar tuning instead – DGDGBD. This tunes the fifth and sixth strings down instead of up.

Another tip is to try an extension nut like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/nuts-saddles/golden-gate-resonator-guitar-extension-nut

Use it in conjunction with a steel bar!

#22672 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Ha, I missed Art’s post as I was typing up mine. Great minds think alike! 🙂

#22673 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Dobro tuning is typically GBDGBD.

Did not know that but I have been tuning, like you mentioned, for slide guitar.

I also have the Indiginus plugin that Denis mentioned but I am not enough of a keyboard player and struggle with it. I’m going to try it with my Fishman midi guitar next though. BTW the demo of it is very impressive.

#22674 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Yeah, my hat off to anyone doing convinving parts with a keyboard and virtual instruments! A lot of time and trouble…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: plugins for harmonica and dobro
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us