Pricing???

Home Forums General Questions Pricing???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’ve finally had a chance to upload some new music and I’ve noticed a downward shift in prices. $39 seems to be the new popular number.

Are we going to drop prices $10 every time another 100,000 composers
    enter the business until we’re all at $1.99?

I’m not a fan of unrealistically high pricing either. But, I’m curious, are composers finding enough increased sales at bargain numbers to justify the drop, or is this the new “desperation” pricing level?

There are some very good tracks out there for $39, which is a steal, and it’s scary.

#23337 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Are we going to drop prices $10 every time another 100,000 composers enter the business until we’re all at $1.99?

Or lower. It’s seems inevitable to me, “death by a thousand cuts”.

#23338 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

Not sure what library you are referring to but here at ML our median price of what customers are paying for music has remained pretty much the same since we started 10 years ago. If anything it has gone up a bit.
    I see no downward trend at all.
    I do see the quality of music going up though which might make it seem like prices are going down.

#23339 Reply
    Michael

A very interesting discussion and very timely as far as I am concerned.

What with a certain company going bust recently and from what I can see through no fault of the owner’s and other companies I deal with sales going from pretty good to poor to non existent.

I have decided to start my own library and the price for 200 of the tracks will be $ 0.Half of which have sold and some of them for quite substantial amounts.

My thinking is,I now have nothing to lose.

I have employed a marketing company and have set aside a considerable budget for advertising.

If I succeed,great,if I don’t,what the heck?

At least I gave it a go!!!

#23340 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

The thing that truly depresses me is how close music prices are coming to photo prices. While I am sure that it takes skill and effort to take and prepare a great photo, the skill and effort dedicated to one track surely surpasses that.

I think most music consumers just don’t know the difference between high quality and garbage. That said, what motivation exists to purchase pricey high quality music if you can’t tell the difference?

And this would force high quality music makers to sell for low prices or just don’t participate at all.

#23341 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

That’s why I’m relying on back end TV royalties (and have been for years). As bad as that is it’s always been much better for me than the RF market. YMMV though.

#23342 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

And this would force high quality music makers to sell for low prices or just don’t participate at all.

It’s certainly not the business that I left 15 years ago. Law looks more appealing every day!

#23343 Reply
    SCP
    Participant

Actually, $39.95 is the perfect price point for me. Maybe it’s b/c I’ve come late to the RF game but regardless, I see it as fair payment for the type of music I make. Here’s a few quick rules I set when writing a $40 song. 1) It’ll be a formulaic popular genre track that I know is selling well across various RF sites. 2) I won’t spend more than 6-8hours on it 3) I’ll spend twice as much time on the production than the songwriting.

Without pointing any fingers, I think there’s a hint of “I want people to pay me for what I like” that still persists in the RF world. It took me a few years to give the market it what it wants, at the price it wants to pay. Now I write accordingly and get pleasure from music production (recording, editing, mastering) rather than interesting chords and arrangements. As a result, I’ve sharpened my studio skills considerably.

#23344 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I think there’s a hint of “I want people to pay me for what I like” that still persists in the RF world. It took me a few years to give the market it what it wants, at the price it wants to pay…

That is a very astute observation. It is, in fact, about commerce, not art.

2) I won’t spend more than 6-8hours on it

That’s the hard part, but probably the best way to turn a profit.

#23345 Reply
    Musicmatters
    Participant

Currently I have all my tracks at a minimum of 70 across all sites (Except stingers). I tried going down to 50 for a few months but i did not see sales going up at all. I feel most consumers would not mind part with an extra 20 to 30 for what they like. Just my observation.

#23346 Reply
    mojorising

I just started in some RF sites, (all of my past experience in licensing has been with PRO back end driven libraries). and I have started at a minimum of 70 also. So we’ll see, no sales yet. But again I know that my music has done very well in the NE PRO cable world and some films, not sure yet how I will really do in RF since I know its a different beast.

#23349 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Didn’t mean to start a long thread or discussion about art vs commerce, or question any single library’s pricing policies.

Just wondered if there’s a consensus or a reason why I’m seeing $39 crop up a lot, on a number of sites.

Writers at that price point do you charge the same for all edits? Writers at $70 and above are you charging less for edits?

Cheers,

Michael

#23350 Reply
    mojorising

riters at $70 and above are you charging less for edits?

at $70 per track, I’m charging $50 for edits. I don’t have super high hopes in getting a lot of RF sales because most of the prices I’m seeing on these sites are $15, $25, $39. I’d personally rather sell one track at $70 then 3 tracks at $25. By the time you factor in any co-writer and the libraries split its just peanuts. Hopefully its not a race down to 1.99 per track!!!! it bums me out when I hear good music on some of the RF sites selling for 15 bucks. It’s kind of just hurting everybody. I recently turned down an offer from a library to go “Performance free” even though they assure me I would sell way more licenses that way, and since they were re-titles I could still collect royalties from other libraries. And their prices are much higher than I’ve seen on many. But even if I make some cash up front that would be terrible if big network and major films started shopping at a site like that. Just putting each other out of business. Was curious if anyone else would consider a higher paying RF library, if it was performance and truly royalty free??

#23351 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Writers at that price point do you charge the same for all edits?

I’m selling full, DnB, Bed, 15s, 30s, 60s at $39.95. Loops and stingers at $19.95.

#23352 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Keep in mind that some tracks might be sub $40 because they’re shorter than 2:00

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
Reply To: Pricing???
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us