PRS statement seems totally wrong

Home Forums Cue Sheet Problems PRS statement seems totally wrong

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rich
    Participant

Hey guys,

Relative newcomer to this game, am on my 4th royalty statement and am somewhat confused and worried as to how accurate they are!

I have had an instrumental used several times on a Travel Channel show called ‘America Declassified’

I have watched the show myself and use Tunesat so know exactly which track was used, on which episodes and for how long.

The payments on the royalty statement are showing a track I did for the same library, but isn’t even in the show, furthermore there’s a tiny amount for another track I have with them which isn’t in the show either! Indeed the track that was used on quite a few occasions, they haven’t registered with PRS as I checked.

Is the best thing to approach the library with this? Am I right in saying if it’s not registered then they won’t be getting paid either!?

Thanks in advance for any help šŸ™‚

#21441 Reply
    Rich
    Participant

PS

Not sure if anyone would be able to get the que sheets for this show? I can’t see them here in the UK on PRS

Thanks again

#21442 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

If it’s on the Travel Channel it’s part of Scripps and they generally do not pay back end royalties in the U.S. Not sure how it works outside the U.S.

Check this thread https://musiclibraryreport.com/blog/composers-beware-of-hgtv-the-cooking-channel-food-network-diy-travel-channel-any-scripps-networks-shows/

#21450 Reply
    Rich
    Participant

Wow really? So the publisher would get an upfront fee and I’d earn nothing at all as it’s backend only.

The weird thing is though they have paid me something it’s just not the track or duration I was expecting!

#21451 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Wow really? So the publisher would get an upfront fee and I’d earn nothing at all as it’s backend only.

Yep, some publishers will do a blanket license with Scripps. The publisher gets paid but the writers do not. On the other hand some of those same publishers are very active at getting placements with paying networks so you take the good with the bad.

#21453 Reply
    Rich
    Participant

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

So I’m guessing that would explain why they didn’t register the track with my PRO? They don’t know to because they know the network won’t pay back end royalties?

#21454 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

Hi sniper22b,

When I started out I had a ton of questions that sound like yours now. I remember how stressed I used to get. Some pieces of info which might help you in the future (besides that Scripps don’t pay backend):

1. Even if a work is unregistered with the PRS, you should and normally will get paid your backend as long as your composer name is attached to a cue sheet somewhere. I have had this happen to me at least a few times and always been paid in the end.

The track then comes up as ‘unnotified work’ on the PRS and you can call them or email them to get it fixed.

2. Some channels in the UK are done on ‘sample’ reporting. This means that that the PRS only takes a sample of their total shows and music and pays only those. This can sometimes be amazingly unfair. Like if you have a track in a show which airs a lot but is never in a sample you get nothing. The rest are done by ‘census’ which means every last thing is reported.

3. Foreign royalties usually take between 6 months and 2 years to reach you at the PRS. US royalties for me take 6 months from the date of the US distribution. Not from the date of airing. So from an airing in the US it might be a year till you see the money.

#21458 Reply
    Rich
    Participant

Thanks for this – all very helpful information and much appreciated šŸ™‚

Are there any other networks, or a list of that have this same policy in regards to back end royalties?

#21462 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Playboy comes to mind. Been in negotiations forever with BMI. BTW SESAC does have an agreement with Scripps, or so I’ve been told.

#21485 Reply
    sniper22b

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So if you know a track is being used and not registered would it be normal procedure to let the library know this?

Thanks,

#22827 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

I got some placements in a show on Travel Channel,called “36 Hours”.I just saw it on my Tunesat account.
    Do you know if this show pays backened royalties?
    From what i read here i shouldn’t expect any royalties šŸ™
    I don’t know which library placed the tracks.

#22829 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I got some placements in a show on Travel Channel,called ā€œ36 Hoursā€.I just saw it on my Tunesat account.
    Do you know if this show pays backened royalties?

Not in the U.S. but, from what I understand, it will if it goes international.

#22832 Reply
    Rich
    Participant

I did receive some royalties from the show that aired on the travel channel some months after I started this topic, I am in the UK.

I don’t quite get how that works though as PRS in the UK collects the royalties through US PRO’s don’t they? So I’m not sure why we would get royalties but US composers wouldn’t?

#22833 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I donā€™t quite get how that works though as PRS in the UK collects the royalties through US PROā€™s donā€™t they? So Iā€™m not sure why we would get royalties but US composers wouldnā€™t?

I think it may be that libraries in the U.S. can cut a direct licensing deal with them but it may not be valid outside the U.S. Just guessing though.

#22836 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

Thanks for the answers guys.I guess i’ll have to wait and see what will happen but i don’t have any high hopes for these placements.
    I live in Greece but i’m with BMI.
    Well,let’s hope the show goes international!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: PRS statement seems totally wrong
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us