Royalty Free Sites – Are Your Sales Increasing?

Home Forums General Questions Royalty Free Sites – Are Your Sales Increasing?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

Just another thing to point out…markets move in different cycles.

During the summer, the TV producers that I write for are in high gear getting shows ready for the fall season.

In contrast, many in-house corporate communications producers, who are typical RF customers, are on vacation during the summer.

There are an infinite number of variables and nuances at all levels in both the RF and “exclusive” (whatever that really means now) models.

The sky is not falling.

#17530 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Royalty-free music is expected to be inexpensive. I am considering dropping my prices to fit in line with the majority of other companies. Stuff over $20 seems pricey to most shoppers unless it is super high quality and complex music.

#17532 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Royalty-free music is expected to be inexpensive. I am considering dropping my prices to fit in line with the majority of other companies. Stuff over $20 seems pricey to most shoppers unless it is super high quality and complex music.

A race to the bottom is in no one’s interest. I actually found I made more money raising prices.

#17533 Reply
    actualsizemusic
    Participant

A race to the bottom is in no one’s interest.

Absolutely agree. If something has little perceived value it’s not likely to sell.

In answer to the original question.. My sales peaked a bit just before the Summer and have been really quiet since then.

Nothing to worry about I don’t think, sales tend to ebb and flow for me generally anyway.

#17534 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Sales are always slow in the summer. A few months ago I had an $850 month at just one site. Lower prices = Not a good idea! Mine are $40 and $50.

#17535 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Sales are always slow in the summer.

This coincides with corporate business cycles.

#17536 Reply
    Advice

Do you think so little of your own music that you want to bring it down to the level of crap that’s sold at bargain basement prices?

#17537 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Do you think so little of your own music that you want to bring it down to the level of crap that’s sold at bargain basement prices?

No. I would be selling quality music at competitive prices. I am more interested in cash flow from inexpensive music that fits into the pop culture market. Affordable, rhythmic music is what I plan to provide. It doesn’t always take a sophisticated product to generate cash flow.

#17538 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Stuff over $20 seems pricey to most shoppers unless it is super high quality and complex music.

How can you possibly know what shoppers consider pricey? How can you possibly know what a shopper considers “high quality and complex music”?

You are only trying to impose your subjectivity on something (music) that is very subjective!

#17539 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

How can you possibly know what shoppers consider pricey? How can you possibly know what a shopper considers “high quality and complex music”?

You are only trying to impose your subjectivity on something (music) that is very subjective!

LOL, you got me there!

There is no exact science to it all. People will pay whatever they feel is comfortable paying. I could lose a lot of money by dropping my prices. But I have to take a chance and do something.

I don’t have the answers but I am willing to experiment and change course if things go wrong. The RF market is a tough one for me to crack, but I am willing to give it a chance.

#17541 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

DI, desperation is never a good thing. Everyone has to make their own choice but I’ve seen you agree to performance-free deals, lower your RF prices, etc.

I get that you are a part-timer and not looking to make a living at film/TV music. I’m also a part-timer. But I maintain certain limits so as not to hurt myself and/or my fellow composers.

Better to up your game as far as the quality of your music than to go after the lowest of the low.

#17543 Reply
    actualsizemusic
    Participant

Very good point.. You might not care about making a full time living from your own music, and that’s fine.. but lowering your prices doesn’t just effect you, it has a knock-on effect on the industry as a whole.

Better to up your game as far as the quality of your music than to go after the lowest of the low.

+ten-bazillion!

#17544 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I guess I can hold my prices for a few more months.

#17545 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Another OK thread devolves into troll fodder about an individual….

AWOT.

#17546 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Well, MichaelL… Think of it as not just answering one troll. When you post advice on a forum you are also providing information to anyone else reading. If even one other person gains something from it, it’s worth it.

Best,
    A

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
Reply To: Royalty Free Sites – Are Your Sales Increasing?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us