Screening new libraries…..

Home Forums Newbie Questions Screening new libraries…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Granted there are libraries sited here that , with research, you can tell do really well by their composers, whether it be sales, placements, etc. For others though, where the info might be either limited or dated, (and I think Art had posted some questions to pose earlier this year) do you think it is appropriate to ask some basic screening questions to determine whether or not to upload to that particular library? Any red flags in general, or any strong signs ( other then maybe them stating placements are going well and giving numbers)? What would you ask a library that seems promising but that you are relatively sure is a recent startup? What questions would you ask in general? Yes of course we should do some research in advance if possible but for some libraries such info is limited. Thanks. Looking forward to responses to this…..

#18413 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

You have to put in the work. I am not sure that research is going to help with some companies. Perhaps talking to someone at the company can alleviate some fears. Learning how your music may fit directly from the library owners helps.

Just take a day and give companies a call. Have a group of questions written down so you can ask the right things and get the right information. Some companies will be helpful and some will not. But asking companies directly provides a great deal of information.

#18414 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Thanks DI, have feelers out there for bunch and would consider calling those who show an interest in my tracks.

#18415 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Don’t give up on the “older” libraries either. The large exclusive PMA affiliated libraries need great music as well.

#18416 Reply
    Chuck Mott

I would love to add more exclusives. I want to build my catalog up to at least 150 tracks in circulation then start focusing on adding more exclusives. I am in one now.

#18427 Reply
    purplequavers
    Participant

For me it’s the terms – recently I thought about signing some tracks to Sync Tracks (UK) who are relatively new, but learned they want to take your copyright, and don’t pay any MCPS or license fees. So if they sell your track for a corporate video you get nothing, if they sell your track for something broadcast, they take ALL the license money, and you only get 50% of the performance royalty. Oh, and they don’t pay a fee for taking track on either!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Screening new libraries…..
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us