Sonar X3

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

I’m working on my first cue with Sonar X3. I’ve had it since it was released but was waited a few weeks to install it just in case there were bugs. There were, and it already had a couple of updates, but I had to try it after watching the track comping video.

This is a GREAT feature. It has cut my editing time and aggravation in half (or more). This is ideal for a guy like me who plays several instruments, but none particularly well, HA.
    I did have one crash so far. Save often ;~)

#13525 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Yep, looks good, I’m getting ready to upgrade from X2. Just waiting for my new DAW from Jim Roseberry ( http://www.studiocat.com/ ). I’m dreading all the software installations though!

#13526 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Thanks Alan. I’m just finishing up the largest composition project I’ve ever done. Should be finished in a week or so. After that I plan on updating my operating system with a service pack, and updating to Sonar X3 and Soundforge 11. Wish me luck!

#13528 Reply
    Denbo17
    Participant

I’ve been using X1 since just before X2 came out, As a guy who records 95 percent guitars and percussion with microphones I would guess the only real need to upgrade for me would be to stay in the current version ? I would think the sound quality should not be any different correct ? I too am very leary of upgrades that have bugs and get in the way of making actual music.
    Thoughts ?

#13529 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Maybe the quality of your end product could be different based on newer or updated plug-ins offered? Better sounding compressor, reverb, eq or etc?

I am very leary also, if it aint’ broke don’t fix it, as the old saying goes. But in the past, I’ve fallen too far behind with that attitude and catching up was probably made more difficult in the long run.

#13530 Reply
    Denbo17
    Participant

For plug in and processing I use Ozone 5 so I don’t see a big advantage there but I think I’ll upgrade after the holidays when I see that bugs are worked and everyone seems happy. I did watch the comp video the other day but as an old school purist I do one take until it has the vibe and sound I want. To me that’s so much easier than all of that editing. Plus it’s more fun and rewarding.

#13531 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

@ Denbo17
    There is a big improvement over X1, mostly in workflow, but also in FX. I do a goo bit of my processing with just the prochannel now.

For all:
    I was pleasantly surprised to find the X3 install did not overwrite X2. It did a completely separate install and my X2 still opens and runs just fine.

#13532 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I was pleasantly surprised to find the X3 install did not overwrite X2.

Cakewalk has always been good about that. New versions would never overwrite old version. A totally different install.

#13538 Reply
    Denbo17
    Participant

Hey Art, Which Version of X3 do you have ? Regular, Studio or Producer ?

#13539 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hey Art, Which Version of X3 do you have ? Regular, Studio or Producer ?

Don’t have X3 yet but have X2 Producer and will upgrade to X3 Producer.

#14876 Reply
    SamTheMan
    Participant

My Two Cents: I’ve used Sonar X3 Producer since it first came out, and have been very happy with the stability and various improvements. The Melodyne integration is particularly nice, as is the comping workflow referred to above. It seems that Cakewalk listened closely to the complaints of its forum members, and focused on smoothing out the sore spots.

#14879 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Yep, happy with X3.

#16981 Reply
    Shadrick
    Participant

Ive been working with the X series since x1 came out and its been my favorite DAW so far. Not only is the learning curve small and the DAW itself modular, but they always throw in awesome VST bonuses like Addictive drummer and Melodyne with every upgrade. So far almost my entire catalog of licensing cues have been recorded in x2 and x3 producer edition.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Sonar X3
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us