The 3rd fastest growing job in the USA is…

Home Forums Share It! The 3rd fastest growing job in the USA is…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

From: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/09/02/10-fastest-growing-jobs-in-usa/2750169/

3. Music Directors and Composers
    > 10-year job growth: 178%
    > 10-year job growth: 15,960
    > Total employed: 24,940
    > Median annual pay: $47,350

It seems that Americans’ thirst for music is on the rise. This should drive job growth of music directors and composers. Another factor driving job growth for this occupation is the expected greater need for original music scores or transcriptions used in commercials and movies. In addition to musical talent and mastery of a variety of instruments, those in this occupation, especially the ones writing and conducting classical music, usually have a bachelor’s degree. About 10% of music directors and composers earned less than $21,450 annually, while the top 10% made more than $86,110, a high annual income compared with the same top 10% of other occupations on this list.

#13754 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I think this data might be saying something else. Perhaps it’s just easier to be make money as a composer today.

#13755 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Perhaps it’s just easier to be make money as a composer today.

Certainly true for me.

#13758 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I think this data might be saying something else. Perhaps it’s just easier to be make money as a composer today.

+1

I think we get a skewed perspective from a handful of people who dominate forums, like MLR, VI Control, and Gearslutz with complaints about the “race to the bottom” and how “saturated” the market is. There are a lot of people who are having a completely different, and positive experience in this business. They just don’t spend a lot of time on forums trying to fix what isn’t broken.

#13762 Reply
    The Dude

They just don’t spend a lot of time on forums trying to fix what isn’t broken.

Says the guy that comments on every single forum post.

#13764 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Says the guy that comments on every single forum post.

If that was true I’d comment on your post. 😀

#13766 Reply
    Advice

The 4th fastest growing job in the USA is…

Running a website and forum about music libraries.

:p 😀

#13774 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

From: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-competitive-jobs-everyone-wants-223920202.html

10 Competitive Jobs That Everyone Wants But Hardly Anyone Gets

1. Choreographers
    Competitiveness score: 96

2. Poets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
    Competitiveness score: 95

3. Athletes and Sports Competitors
    Competitiveness score: 94

4. S ales Agents, Securities and Commodities
    Competitiveness score: 93

5. Sound Engineering Technicians
    Competitiveness score: 89

6. Makeup Artists, Theatrical and Performance
    Competitiveness score: 88

7. Music Composers and Arrangers

8. Real Estate Sales Agents

9. Coaches and Scouts
    Competitiveness score: 87

10. Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
    Competitiveness score: 85

#13775 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Much to the Dude’s chagrin, I will comment on the last post. What do you make of the competitive top ten Mark?

We’re all at different places in our lives and careers, with different levels of responsibility. It seems that the “library” business has provided many more people with opportunities, and that the need for content is unlimited.

The key then is what an individual needs to earn a living. I do believe that if you’re in LA trying to be the next Hans Zimmer, the pressure must be incredible. But, what if you live somewhere that costs half as much as LA, and aren’t interested in film scoring (which has its own pressures)?

We all define success differently.

#13779 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

No surprise that sound engineering is more competitive!

Interesting that there’s data showing composing is one of the fastest growing AND most competitive careers.

I think what this says is, like many of us here suspect, that there are tons of people flooding the business because making a living as a composer is much easier than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. You can literally score some TV shows with Garageband loops. However, to really make a living from composing requires a combination of talent, taste, business acumen and tenacity.

#13771 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Yeah. Composing is a good job. Although there are no benefits, the pay can be great and the hours are flexible depending on what one is working on. You don’t even have to leave your house to make great music.

Today’s tools and the glut of TV shows have given a lot of people opportunities that were unimaginable 20 years ago.

#13786 Reply
    Advice

Desire_Inspires
    Is your plan to quit your day job and compose full time for a living?

#13793 Reply
    More advice

About 10% of music directors and composers earned less than $21,450 annually, while the top 10% made more than $86,110, a high annual income compared with the same top 10% of other occupations on this list.

So 80% earn between 21K and 86K…which is not really a liveable wage for those living in major European and U.S. cities…especially when you have kids to put through school.

To the newbies and hobbyists: I would advise NOT leaving your day job to compose library music.

#13794 Reply
    bradymusico

To the newbies and hobbyists: I would advise NOT leaving your day job to compose library music.

This comment sounds to me like it’s coming from someone that is paranoid about encouraging the competition – not advice. Cost of living is relative to where you are and what your expenses are. Newbies and hobbyists – if you can swing it and have built up a solid royalty stream, more power to you!

#13795 Reply
    More advice

Newbies and hobbyists – if you can swing it and have built up a solid royalty stream, more power to you!

Agreed, but not until your royalties, license fees, work for hire fees, and royalty free income are at a “liveable wage” level….and this number is very different for many people…

Bradyco, I am not advising any who is making a liveable wage composing to find a new job, just advising those getting started to hang onto their job until they can make a liveable wage.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
Reply To: The 3rd fastest growing job in the USA is…
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us