The 3rd fastest growing job in the USA is…

Home Forums Share It! The 3rd fastest growing job in the USA is…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Barbie
    Participant

Rob, Thanks for sharing!!! It’s so cold here in DC, with snow falling now for two days — we all wish we were there in Sunny Australia…

Cheers and Happy Holidays to Everyone,
    Barbie

http://www.AudioSparx
    http://www.Facebook.com/AudioSparx

#13823 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Nice, Rob!

😀

#13825 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Yes Rob, nice one!

We have a similar situation living on an island, in a marina, about a mile from the ocean. We are an hour north of L.A. but it is much more affordable, laid back and it’s a relief to be out of L.A. In this day and age it really doesn’t matter where you live.

#13826 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Cheers and Happy Holidays to Everyone

I second that. Stay warm Barbie!

#13830 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

In this day and age it really doesn’t matter where you live.

+1
    In the music LIBRARY business, it really doesn’t matter nowadays.

#13832 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Ha,
    My main source of income is as a live sound engineer. I’ve been trying to supplement that income as a composer. Freakin’ genius!
    🙂

#13833 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

Ha! Wasn’t trying to make anyone envious. 😀 Just saying as long as you have decent internet you really can live anywhere you choose for library work.

#13834 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Ha! Wasn’t trying to make anyone envious. Just saying as long as you have decent internet you really can live anywhere you choose for library work.

Thanks for chiming in Rob. You illustrate my point beautifully!

#13835 Reply
    Chuck Mott

There is a film called Happy where several scientists research the concept f Happiness, and what they came up with wasn’t exactly earth shattering.People who were found to be happiest were people who surround themselves by others with others they care about primarily, and secondly, people are also doing what they loved. They found that once other basic needs were met (food , shelter, medical care, etc) no amount of “things” would appreciably increase your level of happiness. My take on this: strip everything down to the basics, if you can feed your family , take care of their health, feed and house, etc. then you’d be happier as a , for example, broke composer then , maybe in your situation, a wealthy bank exec. For me I’m a social worker, so my needs aren’t huge. http://vimeo.com/11335940 Also for extra credit, watch Jiro Dreasm of Sushi, about a gentleman who lived his life with a singular goal of becoming the world’s greatest sushi chef, and the hours he put into his craft. Guys works ridiculous hours, bit apparently wouldn’t have it any other way because he respects his craft and is on love, not k=just loves but is in love, with what he does. Documentaries both. Link for a snapshot of Jiro. http://www.magpictures.com/jirodreamsofsushi/

#13840 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@Chuck, thanks for posting those links. I identify with what you’re saying. After several years of planning, we just got rid of the big house and associated “things,” to be near friends, in a close-knit community, and to do the things that we love. “Stripping it down to basics,” and looking for something more authentic is exactly what we’ve been doing.

Thanks again.

_Michael

#13841 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

Actually Rob’s beautiful backyard seeded an idea…

As we can actually do our work from any place, why not move?

I am wondering what this ideal place could be: It would combine sunshine, lower taxes and nice locals. (i live in a country with a crappy weather, that takes away close to 60% of everything that is earned, and with high living costs). I am still here because I love the people there.

The only limitation is that it must be in Europe, or accept without too much fuss Europeans residing on their soil and follow/tolerate occidental values.

Any suggestions?

#13842 Reply
    Kenny
    Participant

What a great thread!! Interesting to hear everyones opinion on this. My plans for the future is to quit touring and be more a composer combined with some part time giging that doesnt require so much travelling.

I’ve done some serious calculating on this matter and I think I will get by very good if I can earn 40k a year from library work. Some of you guys here have been around a while, so I wonder what your opinions is on how realistic this is?
    Do I have to be very very lucky to earn this kind of money some years down the line, or is this a realistic goal. I know it is hard to give an exact answer here, but a few guidelines would be much appreciated.

#13843 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’ve done some serious calculating on this matter and I think I will get by very good if I can earn 40k a year from library work. Some of you guys here have been around a while, so I wonder what your opinions is on how realistic this is?

Very realistic. I’ve been doing this about 7 years and I’m not much of a marketer of our music. Earning around $40k but I’d like to get to $100k, I’d be content with that.

#13846 Reply
    SCP
    Participant

Hey Art – Can I ask how many cues you’ve got out to make $40k / yr..?

#13847 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I would say about 200-300 complete songs but with alts it goes up to about 600-700 hundred. I have been going back to older cues and adding more alts to them, particularly the ones that sell well.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
Reply To: The 3rd fastest growing job in the USA is…
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us