The Future of Advertising Music Royalties

Home Forums News The Future of Advertising Music Royalties

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Interesting article by Nan Wilson from Manage Ad Music, one of our advertisers.

“There’s been lots of chatter lately about shrinking revenues for artists and creators in the music industry, but there’s one segment of this issue that hasn’t been mentioned at all. For some reason, performance royalties for music in advertising has always been the little stepchild of the music royalty world.” Read the rest here.

#24726 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump

#24727 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’m not sure that’s always been the case. Perhaps this is an “urban legend,” but back in the dark ages — the 80’s, I believe that even session players received residuals for playing on jingles.

As the story goes, one east coast “A” list player was called for an east coast jingle date (for a national ad), but happened to be in LA at the time. He calculated what his royalties would be and flew home on a chartered plane for the session!

#24733 Reply
    guscave

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

#24746 Reply
    music123

She is right on the mark with her analysis and numbers. I too have been wondering, when the world stops watching TV and instead watches everything on YOUTUBE (Google), when are those performance royalties going to kick in?
    Why are we not entitled to performance royalties for music on ads that gets played on Youtube. Is it any different than spots getting played on TV? I know the argument that sometimes one spot can be heard by millions simultaneously during high ratings prime time television, but still the world is increasingly watching more and more youtube. YOUTUBE is all my 15 year old daughter watches and the content she clicks on usually has an ad to soak up first. There is music on the ad. There is a “performance”. We should be getting royalties for those performances and the author of this article is correct when she says “The music world is swirling in new paradigms. It is imperative that each of us impacted by these new dynamics be in conversation to ensure the integrity of these new paradigms. That means every composer and publisher with music playing in commercials needs to contact their PROs and make clear they still want PROs to collect their performance royalties for all digital performances.” For the record, I earned 20K in 2015 for 1 track on 1 ad campaign over a 6 month period. There is big back end “performance royalties” when music on a big brand spot is in heavy rotation. You just need to make sure you file the ad and promo claim and reach out to your PRO. Do not just think it will happen without some effort.

#24747 Reply
    KevinG
    Participant

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

+1

#24748 Reply
    music123

Where do the royalties from a commercial come from? Here is your answer, Advertisers pay for every 30 second time slot. The fees can be anywhere from say $1000 for 30 seconds of time to $3,000,000 for 30 seconds on the super bowl. The TV networks collect that revenue from the advertiser (Corporate brand like Apple or MCD’s) TV Networks pay a percentage of their revenue (advertising sales) to the PROS. That creates the pool of money. This is why we can occasionally get lucky and earn $1 to $50 every time our tracks air on a big spot. (I am speaking about all of this from the USA perspective) Now the question is – why isn’t google paying PROS a percentage of their advertising revenue to PROS? or are they? This is still a mystery to me. This has nothing to do with “AD REVENUE from Content ID”. I am speaking strictly about “performance royalties”. Why are we not getting paid performance royalties for music on commercials that run on YOUTUBE (Google)? At what point is YOUTUBE treated like a TV network in the eyes of PROs? or is Google/ Youtube already paying PRO’s? This is the dialogue that all publishers need to be having with PROS right now. Anyone have any answers or thoughts?

#24758 Reply
    Nan Wilson

Session players definitely get AFM residuals for playing on jingles. They only get performance royalties if they go down as a co-composer.

#24759 Reply
    Nan Wilson

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: The Future of Advertising Music Royalties
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us