The Wrecking Crew – A Great Film On L.A. Session Musicians

Home Forums Share It! The Wrecking Crew – A Great Film On L.A. Session Musicians

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Last night I finally got to see a film I’ve been meaning to see for years. It’s not in general release but has been shown all over the world and won many awards.

It’s a film about a loose coalition of 20 to 30 session musicians that were responsible for hundreds of hit records recorded in L.A. between the late 50s to early 70s. From Frank Sinatra to the Beach Boys to Phil Spector’s “Wall Of Sound” these guys (and one notable woman) were magic. The film was particularly poignant for me as I played with just about all of those players during my days of session work from 1962 through 1978. I was never in the “Crew” as their playing was far and away above my skills. Still it was an honor to have worked with them all those many years ago. Last night was another treat for me as Don Randi (monster piano player in the Crew) was at the film and I hadn’t seem him for years. Don and I go way back from producing an album of our band “Bigfoot”, to getting me my first big paying job in L.A. after I moved there.

If you are interested in the film go to http://wreckingcrew.tv/ and get on the mailing list to see it when it comes to your area. A real treat!

#7414 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Nice one, would love to see that.

#7423 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Wow, would love to see that!

#7434 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hey Mark, next one here:

SAN BERNARDINO, CA
    November 11, 2012 3:00PM
    CALIFORNIA THEATRE
    562 W. 4th St.
    San Bernardino, CA 92401

Q&A with Hal Blaine, Don Randi and Director Denny Tedesco
    Special Guest, Dean Torrence of Jan and Dean
    Tickets: $20 General Admission
    Buy Tickets Online
    Email for VIP Seating

#7441 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

I have been helping Denny promote the film on Facebook and Twitter and other social sites.

Here are the links to their Facebook and Twitter pages for those who want to follow with updates on screenings, and other Wrecking Crew things.

http://www.facebook.com/WreckingCrewFilm

http://www.Twitter.com/WreckCrewFilm

#7449 Reply
    euca
    Participant

Can’t wait to see this!! Hey Art, the “Bigfoot” album cover is pretty trippy! Looks like some dirty feet on that cove also!! I’d love to hear it. Looks like it’s fetching some decent money in the used vinyl market.

#7451 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hi euca, I don’t even know who owns the Bigfoot master now. I should just post it anyway as a number of people are interested in it. Bigfoot was the band that other musicians came to see. It was quite something but like most bands it just blew up and swore me off bands for good!

#7456 Reply
    GaryW
    Participant

Two upcoming screenings in the Pacific Northwest this month.

November 13, 2012 2:00PM, 8:30PM
    PICKFORD FILM CENTER
    1318 Bay Street
    Bellingham, WA 98225

November 15, 2012 2:00PM, 7:30PM
    PRINCESS THEATRE
    1226 Meade Avenue
    Prosser, WA 99350

For details and tickets go to: http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/upcoming.html

#7462 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

Tommy Tedesco was one of my instructors at the Guitar Institute of Technology back in the day (now Musician’s Institute). Learned a lot of cool tricks from him.

-Mark

#7475 Reply
    Leon
    Participant

@ Mark Lewis

Hey I went to GIT too!!  I remember it was near Christmas and Tommy & Tim Bogart treated us to a surprise concert and Tommy dressed up like Santa Claus and started doing all these posses wile playing some hotroded strat ( those where popular back in the 80’s with the Floyd Rose and ALL that ) any how after seeing some of  the film snippets on you tube I can attest that YES Tommy Tedesco was a great musician, a 100% grade A human being, a nutter of the highest order and that’s what made him so charming and loved and it’s so true , you can have all the talent and chops in the world but if you aren’t an easy hang you probably ain’t going to be getting too many gigs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: The Wrecking Crew – A Great Film On L.A. Session Musicians
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us