Tip – Search for unclaimed royalties with your PRO

Home Forums PROs Tip – Search for unclaimed royalties with your PRO

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CloudNineAudio
    Participant

I just discovered that I was owed some money for a TV placement, because the cue sheet said ‘Alex’ instead of ‘Alexander’. Out of curiosity, I searched the PRS database with the names of some of the regular posters on here, and almost everyone has unclaimed royalties.

It’s worth checking with your own PRO, and try searching for any pseudonyms or variations of your actual name… If you don’t claim it, then the PRO will eventually keep it for themselves.

Post below if you find anything!

#21989 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Hey CloudNineAudio, Looks like you have to have an account with them to see those details. Are you talking about MCPS royalties?

#21990 Reply
    CloudNineAudio
    Participant

Hi Mark, it seems to be standard performing royalties, as far as I can tell. You have 11 results, although some are collaborations. I thought other PROs would have a similar searchable database of unclaimed royalties, but I might be wrong.

#21991 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Can I ask a favour of you? Could you please email me a screen grab of what you find under my name? It would be super interesting to know what they are listing as unclaimed. Could be that I’d have to set up a MCPS account to claim them. I’ll owe you a favour : )

Thanks,

Mark
    mark@markpetrie.com

#21992 Reply
    CloudNineAudio
    Participant

No problem, I just sent it.

I spoke with the PRS about the MCPS recently… It sounds like it’s only worth joining if you publish your own tracks, and I don’t think you can back-claim any royalties from before the date you join anyway.

#21993 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Thanks! Yeah I figured as much. Even the smaller libraries I work with have joined MCPS for this reason. It’s done so differently in the US – the PROs don’t have set licensing fees like in the UK, Australia and New Zealand.

#21994 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Very interesting. Thanks for the heads-up!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Tip – Search for unclaimed royalties with your PRO
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us