Which TV show to watch to get a feel for the Market ?

Home Forums General Questions Which TV show to watch to get a feel for the Market ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Edouardo
    Participant

Hello everybody,

I am part of these weirdos that do not have TV. However, as a composer, I am aware that I should open an attentive ear to the background music of the shows that air inside the brainwash machine.

I tried to watch a few TV shows on the Internet, but for me, it is truely a real torture… So would like to optimize.

If you had three shows (or show episodes) to advise watching to get the best feel for the music required by the show producers, what would these be? The aim here is for medium range broadcast (maybe not the main networks that have their own music distribution set up), i.e. the shows with significant audience without being the biggest players on the planet. And most importantly representative of today’s trends in terms of music used.

Be well all, and have a musical week end!

Edouardo

#22645 Reply
    Paolo

I am part of these weirdos that do not have TV. However, as a composer, I am aware that I should open an attentive ear to the background music of the shows that air inside the brainwash machine.

Hey Edouardo –

I’m with you – catching up with current music production in tv shows is easier and faster online (especially if, like me, your verizon DVR doesn’t play sound when skimming through shows).

If you had three shows (or show episodes) to advise watching to get the best feel for the music required by the show producers, what would these be?

What worked for me was deciding on a genre and sub-genre to write and then listen to a few shows that use that music. If you’re a guitar guy, Pawn Stars; Counting Cars, Auction Kings, poker, MMA sports etc– there’s lots of stuff. Then move on to the next genre/sub-genre and the shows that use those.

#22660 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

Thanks Paolo,

What worked for me was deciding on a genre and sub-genre to write and then listen to a few shows that use that music.

You point the finger to what seems a key. The difficulty is knowing what shows plays what music without having to watch them all! For example, I am most comfortable in catchy electronic-pop instrumental music (I mean high quality stuff, not just boom boom boom 🙂 ). So what show plays that music, and that I should listen to, in order to refine my sound to pin-point the directors’ needs?

I think I will have to do a little extra research, yet if any of you guys have suggestions, bring it on! Cheers!

Grtz

#22954 Reply
    clarkaboud
    Participant

catchy electronic-pop instrumental music

I don’t know if you’re going to like this, but alot of E! shows use that kinda stuff. The more happier moments/transitions on the reality shows and under the fashion/gossip type shows.

That’s what first comes to mind (for some horrible reason), hopefully someone else more versed in the area will have some better ideas!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Which TV show to watch to get a feel for the Market ?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us