Why exclusive??

Home Forums Commentary Why exclusive??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

So I forget…Why are libraries exclusive?? I just finished some tracks for an “exclusive” library. They notified me that the “CD” is out and I went to their website and there it is for all to buy and license. So how is this exclusive? Anyone can license the song so it could end up on multiple TV shows, YouTubes, etc.. So if anyone can use the song, how is it exclusive??

#24116 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Did you sign an exclusive agreement with them? If so they have the exclusive right to represent it. You can not pitch it to another library.

#24117 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

You’re not the only composer who has been confused by the term ‘exclusive’ before – I had someone write a few exclusive tracks for me, take an upfront fee, then give the same music to ANOTHER exclusive library. D’oh!

Just what Art said – when we say a library is exclusive, it means that the library is the exclusive representative of that music. It’s usually FOREVER as they often OWN the music (masters and copyright), although there are some exclusive deals out there that are for just a specific time frame, which you’ll find listed on this site.

#24118 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

But (at least this would be the hope) the quality expectation is kind of ramped up, so if a library thinks enough of your track to represent it exclusively, it’s sort of an ethical/business understanding that there is more at stake and they should really be working for you to sell/place the track. If you really (REALLY) trust the library or see enough positive posts here to take a chance, it seems pretty standard to “try out” an exclusive library by sending them 10-12 tracks or so to see how they do with your music.

#24127 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks fellas. I know all that stuff.
    My question is “Why?”. Some libraries tell us that “Our clients demand it”.
    But that doesn’t make sense because now anyone can license the song. So the client is not getting exclusivity, so how does that satisfy their demand?
    Other libraries cite the mysterious music supervisor who found the same song in two libraries creating WWIII. So exclusivity may prevent this but it won’t prevent the same song from showing up on multiple shows, which IMO is more important then finding the same song in two libraries.

#24128 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

ComposerOfNotes, you are still not understanding “exclusive” in this context. You are exclusive to the representation of a particular piece of music with that library. That library can place it in any show, commercial, video, film (depending on terms of the contract). As far as being exclusive to a particular show, film, video, etc., that’s a whole different animal.

#24131 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks Art. I do understand. I guess what I am trying to get at is why is it advantageous for a music sup or production company to go with an exclusive library if they are not getting exclusivity?

#24132 Reply
    euca
    Participant

The library gets a piece of music that is not available to anyone else. The client knows the music is available to other shows etc. but they also know that the library is the only one with the track.

It’s like when Gibson makes a custom guitar that is only available to Guitar Center. Guitar Center has something special to sell that no one else does, but anyone who goes there can buy it.

A one off custom by Gibson is going to be much more expensive.

Like Art said exclusive to one client is something different.

You will make more money having that track available to any client who wants it. If it were only available to one show etc. your income would basically be once and done.

#24133 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

why is it advantageous for a music sup or production company to go with an exclusive library if they are not getting exclusivity?

I think the biggest reason would be that the client’s legal department needs a clean clearance, no weird issues popping up where someone else might claim they own / represent the track. ESPECIALLY if it’s a situation where two or more non-ex libraries have their catalogs on the same show. Who got it on there first?

“Exclusive” in the sense you’re getting at, does still happen for clients, but usually for a limited time. The side of things I usually hear of this happening is in high end licensing – commercials and movie trailers.

A high end track that licenses non-exclusively (the library is the sole owner, but is licensing the track to whoever will pay) for trailers might go for $25,000, but if a movie studio wants a track exclusive for a year, i.e. no other trailer using it, then the fee could be upwards of $75,000.

#24135 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks Mark! Great answer.

#24141 Reply
    markbodino
    Participant

I’m still baffled by the advantage of an artist signing a work exclusively. The artist now leaves it up to the library to prioritize the track. A great track can sit accumulating virtual dust. The library has no obligation or requirement to advocate. How would the artist know either way? I’d rather have the freedom and initiative to affiliate with as many libraries as possible. I feel like if the track is deemed viable, they’ll put it out there and benefit if the clientele likes it. Unless it’s a well-known song.

#24142 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’m still baffled by the advantage of an artist signing a work exclusively. The artist now leaves it up to the library to prioritize the track.

This is where it’s very important to define what is meant by “exclusive.”

There is a vast difference between exclusive, like JP and exclusive like one of the larger PMA libraries.

The latter may pay a decent upfront fee, pay to have the tracks recorded by live musicians, and has vast human sales team working to place your tracks. The latter generally has more access to high-0end placements, like trailers, rather than cable / reality shows.

Keep in mind that you will always have tracks that “gather dust” for one reason or another, no matter what library they’re in.

#24146 Reply
    Mark Bodino

Thanks Michael,
    I’m relatively new to music libraries. In regard to exclusive. What is a “PMA” or “JP” library? Are there libraries offering exclusive deals that don’t have the “man power” to do so. Is there a way to identify libraries that will advocate and those who won’t on an exclusive basis?
    Mark

#24149 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

The PMA is the Production Music Association. http://pmamusic.com

JP is an abbreviation for a specific library, which we’re not allowed to name when not on their thread.

#24150 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

JP is an abbreviation for a specific library

You can probably figure it out here https://musiclibraryreport.com/ratings/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Why exclusive??
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us