YouTube Content ID: Whitelisting Paid Licenses?

Home Forums Newbie Questions YouTube Content ID: Whitelisting Paid Licenses?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    joshwoodward
    Participant

I’ve been playing around with the idea of independently releasing some music under a non-commercial Creative Commons license, which allows free use of the music in a non-commercial context (aka, YouTube videos that aren’t monetized). I’m planning to submit those songs to the Content ID system so that I can monetize the uses myself.

I’m also planning to create a licensing system where they pay me a fixed amount of money to have the non-commercial restriction lifted, giving them a standard RF license. To prevent them from being flagged by Content ID, I’m hoping to have them be able to send me a link to the YouTube video they use the song in, in order to whitelist it and not claim the content.

I’m unfamiliar with how Content ID works behind the scenes. Are there any services that let you submit your music to the system, but that allow whitelisting of specific videos? Thanks!

#18636 Reply
    Abby North

When you have a direct publisher or label relationship with YouTube, you are able to whitelist videos within your CMS. If you’re not direct, but you have a YouTube administrator such as Audiam, AdRev, etc., they will be able to whitelist for you.

#18637 Reply
    Mark

Hi Josh
    AdRev will let you whitelist youtube channels. Or you could try to join youtube contentID directly yourself and get rid of the middleman (not sure what their percentage take is at AdRev)
    You would also need to only submit music that you are not distributing via other non-exclusive music libraries as it is against youtube contentID TOS to submit non-exclusive material to AdRev or any other 3rd party system.
    You kind of have to choose one or the other.

What you are basically suggesting sounds like a good idea though.

Regards,
    Mark Lewis

#19028 Reply
    dwayne

hello i have a question on content id, im a music producer and i sell my customers the licence to use my productions under my terms and conditions and i make original music and i buy royalty free sounds and loops and incorporate them into my productions, im wondering if my customers will have any issues with this whole content id thing, i understand that me using those royalty free sounds can cause issues if other people buy and use them, but i was wondering is there a way i can byass the content id from my content to avoid issues, i think the term is whitelisting.

#19031 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Josh –

You’ll most likely need to work with a ‘YouTube Certified Company’ like AdRev. For some reason it’s difficult to work directly with YouTube’s ContentID system.

Every time someone wants to use the track in a monetized video, you’ll have to contact AdRev, asking them to whitelist your customer’s video or channel. Imagine if that happens several / dozens of times a day, it could get to be more of a PITA than it’s worth, unless you’re charging a decent fee each time.

Maybe you’re super tech savvy and can come up with a system involving automation and outsourcing… I’m sure it could work, with some creativity!

#19032 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Duane –

This topic has been discussed A LOT on this site. Basically the situation right now is that if you have music placed in more than one library, you can’t use ContentID for those tracks. Otherwise people will get irate when they pay for music that YouTube says someone else actually has the rights to it. It makes the licensor look bad and prevents the customer from being able to monetize their YT video until they’re whitelisted.

The problem is that not enrolling your music in ContentID (through an outfit like AdRev) means that others can mistakenly or fraudulently enroll music you wrote and claim it as theirs.

I’ve been told by people at AdRev that enrolling music in ContentID would effectively protect it from others claiming on it. Other experts on the topic (like Mark Lewis of ML) strongly doubt this is the case.

There’s got to be a tech based resolution to this insane situation. Maybe these guys have the right idea: http://www.businessinsider.com/licenseid-good-for-artists-maybe-trouble-for-users-2013-9

#19033 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

The music library mentioned in that article is one of the libraries that recently entered all of their composer’s music catalogs into the youtube contendID system this year, in many cases without the permission of the composer.
    If their own technology worked so well why are they uploading music into AdRev without permission of their composers?
    I don’t get it.

Other experts on the topic (like Mark Lewis of ML) strongly doubt this is the case.

I don’t doubt, I know.
    I have seen many times where a music track shows up with 4 or 5 separate claims from different sources including AdRev.
    Why didn’t AdRev protect those tracks from multiple claims?

And why doesn’t AdRev tell the music libraries they are pitching their service to that the music they upload has to be exclusive?

From my experience AdRev will say just about anything to add anyone’s music to their catalog of 30 million tracks, whether the copyright owner is aware of it or not.

There’s got to be a tech based resolution to this insane situation.

Again, the situation maybe “insane” for some but 95% of composers have no issues with youtube contentID whatsoever. At least in my experience.

#19034 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

and i make original music and i buy royalty free sounds and loops and incorporate them into my productions, im wondering if my customers will have any issues with this whole content id thing,

We recently had to delete a composer’s entire catalog from ML because his tracks started triggering lots of youtube claims.
    I contacted the composer and he told me that besides selling his music as production music he also sold it as loops and music construction kits to other composers.
    These two formats do not mix well as people of course assume they can call a composition their own once they incorporate royalty free loops into their version of the same music.

So you should probably be careful using music construction kits. You can find out if there is an issue by simply uploading your music to youtube and checking for yourself.

#19036 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Again, the situation maybe “insane” for some but 95% of composers have no issues with youtube contentID whatsoever. At least in my experience.

Broken record warning:

You can’t put everything everywhere. It’s going to come back to haunt you.

Selling one’s own tracks as construction kits and loops for other musicians to use in their compositions is a formula for disaster.

Plus…if the composer made those loops and constructions kits from samples they violated the EULA of the sample libraries that they used, and could be sued.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: YouTube Content ID: Whitelisting Paid Licenses?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us