15, 30 and 60 second edits

Home Forums General Questions 15, 30 and 60 second edits

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’ve heard this before being standard practice, someone had said something to me that if I let the end chord start fading around, say, the 24 second mark it gives the impression that the music is ending too early. Just a thought.

I lean toward “button-down” endings for ad length edits. I try to have the last note hit at 28 or 28.5 and be out by 29.5 / 30

A long sustain chord for 5.5 seconds is not a good idea

Don’t forget if you’re close, you can time-stretch or shrink the audio, if you have good software. Digital Performer and Izotope’s RX are both very good at that with few, if any, artifacts if you don’t stretch / shrink too much.

#20601 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I guess it’s safe to say there are different opinions on this. In listening to on air commercials you can hear it all. Even to cutting the music off abruptly with no finesse.

#20602 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Think the shorter fades are what I’ll try to shoot for. Check some of my tracks on AS if you care to , you’ll hear a lot of what I’m talking about, even in the stings.

#20603 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Yes time stretching is a big help and keeps you from banging your head against the wall when your 30-60 seconds or full versions come up a 1/2 a second to a second short. Pro Tools does fine but I always have Soundtoys, not even sure of the ams of that plug, like it but I just got more used to doing it in Pro Tools and it works just as well.

#20606 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Mine typically go a few seconds beyond. As an example a 30 second could be 33 seconds but that last beat will be 29.5 with a ring out of 3.5 seconds.

Me too – this is the way I’ve been taught to do edits. Have them timed so that if an editor has to chop off everything at 29.9 seconds, it still sounds MUSICAL (not super abrupt), this might mean the last beat hitting at 28.5, but also give them the option of letting the tail ring out.

#20611 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Me too – this is the way I’ve been taught to do edits. Have them timed so that if an editor has to chop off everything at 29.9 seconds, it still sounds MUSICAL (not super abrupt), this might mean the last beat hitting at 28.5, but also give them the option of letting the tail ring out.

I guess it’s safe to say there are different opinions on this. In listening to on air commercials you can hear it all. Even to cutting the music off abruptly with no finesse.

I’m not sure there’s a huge difference of opinion. I think the object is to keep it “musical.”

When I was writing specifically for radio we had to create “donuts” …a short intro of few seconds, then a bed for narration maybe 20 -23 seconds, then a short ending /tag. Ah…the good old days. 😀

#20612 Reply
    Advice

When I was writing specifically for radio we had to create “donuts” …a short intro of few seconds, then a bed for narration maybe 20 -23 seconds, then a short ending /tag. Ah…the good old days…

It must have been fun back then, Michael, just you and Marconi sitting around playing with radio… 😛 😛 😛 (One old guy razzing another)

#20613 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

😀

#20615 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Yes time stretching is a big help and keeps you from banging your head against the wall when your 30-60 seconds or full versions come up a 1/2 a second to a second short.

Haven’t really tried that as I like cutting beats. Makes for interesting musical events.

#20616 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

Don’t forget if you’re close, you can time-stretch or shrink the audio

when your 30-60 seconds or full versions come up a 1/2 a second to a second short

the last beat hitting at 28.5, but also give them the option of letting the tail ring out

these are excellent ideas; Logic Pro X has flex-mode so that’ll make adding or cutting a few ticks/samples easier and faster.

#20620 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

Don’t forget if you’re close, you can time-stretch or shrink the audio

Personally, I never do this. I don’t know, it just feels wrong to offer a package with in-congruent tempi… Yet, that’s my sole opinion, and I might be wrong. I prefer to play on the “intro” of the edit in order to end up just right (for example, on a 30s, last beat around 28.5 like Michael suggests).

#20623 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Personally, I never do this. I don’t know, it just feels wrong to offer a package with in-congruent tempi…

I know that some libraries offer packages. But, I look at different length edits as suiting the needs of different buyers, rather than providing easy cuts for the same buyer.

The person who needs a full 2 minute cue for a video may not be the same person who needs a 15 second cue for a radio ad.

I think the majority of buyers will buy the edit length that they need.

#22902 Reply
    Andy

The Sonoton guide says last note between 28.5 and 29.5 on a 30s – no more than 3 seconds of reverb tails / note decay over time. Also important that the endings are not cut and sound natural.

My question – does everyone here kick off at 0.00, or do you cheat a bit to 0.2 or so to allow for shorter tracks to get to 30?

#27710 Reply
    Krisemm
    Participant

ok, after reading what all you guys have written, Im gonna start doing these edits as well.
    I guess its easiest to do the full track, whack 2 minutes off it, tidy that up, render, then whack another 30 seconds off that, and then finally then 15.
    Just working backwards all the time.

The thing I’m not sure of now is, how do I keep them all together on pond5 ?
    Im sitting here patiently waiting on 5 tracks I’ve uploaded to be reviewed so I can get on with it, so i’ve no idea yet what the page with my tracks looks like yet.

It would be great if there was some way to group the main track, bed, 1 minute, 60sec,30sec and 15sec together, so that any buyer can see they are children of the parent track.

#27798 Reply
    kandr21400
    Participant

If I started composing 15-30-60 second, and 2 minute edits, would it be better to sign up with Distrokid, since you can release unlimited edits/”songs” through them? Another question I have is, when I release licensed songs through CD Baby/Tunecore, I go through the whole deal of release dates, sending them to stores, radio airplay, marketing, promoting, etc., etc. With 15-30-60 second edits, I assume I would just immediately get the edits done though Distrokid, and start distributing them to the appropriate libraries….am I correct?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
Reply To: Reply #20593 in 15, 30 and 60 second edits
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us