15, 30 and 60 second edits

Home Forums General Questions 15, 30 and 60 second edits

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Alistair Brown

Great, thank you for the really quick response Art. Until reading this thread I had imagined that the edits were produced from the midi / audio tracks in the DAW. I can see how using the mastered audio track will be much quicker, but I will need to really up my audio editing skills – I always end up with horrible clicks and pops after I start chopping up audio. I’m still quite new to it all, so I will need to set some time aside to practice this aspect of the process. 🙂

#31714 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I always end up with horrible clicks and pops after I start chopping up audio.

Set your audio editor to snap to zero crossing, this will avoid the clicks and pops. There will be times you’ll need to turn this snap off to make a very exact timing cut, but 90% of the time it will be better on.

#31716 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I can see how using the mastered audio track will be much quicker, but I will need to really up my audio editing skills

If your original project file is laid out correctly and use markers it should be pretty easy. In my project file I have a marker for the start of the track (as well as sections throughout the track). If you reload your master into the edit version of your project file, right at the start marker, everything will line up correctly and it’s very easy to cut on the beat.

Also, in my edit project file I lay in markers for around 14 to 14.5 seconds and the same for 30 second and 60 second. My last beat will be somewhere around (in the case of a 15 second mix) 14 to 14.5 seconds. That leaves a bit for hangover. That’s my routine but others do it differently.

#31720 Reply
    b1nrybl0ke
    Participant

I can see how using the mastered audio track will be much quicker

I think track style might have a bearing. I produce mostly EDM/Pop and for high end work I do the cuts from the original arrangement to avoid long release notes, reverb tails sounding too chopped.

#31725 Reply
    Alistair Brown

Thanks again everyone for your valuable comments. I tried again last night with the ‘editing the master method’ and came across the exact issue mentioned by b1nrybl0ke. I had issues with delays and reverb leaking across splices, so quickly that directed me back to the method of using the original arrangement. Trial and error I suppose.

#31852 Reply
    Logika
    Participant

Art, do your start marker and first note align, or do you leave a slight silence at the start of the cue? Thanks.

#31853 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Art, do your start marker and first note align, or do you leave a slight silence at the start of the cue? Thanks.

I leave 1/128 of a beat (and I set a marker for it). Really, it’s the smallest increment I can go in my DAW so at least, musically, it’s correct and it keeps the downbeat from getting clipped. I can use that project file, as a template, to load my mixes in to create edits and have everything line up correctly.

#31854 Reply
    Per Boysen
    Participant

My fastest way to come up with shorter versions:
    I’m starting with the full-length version (from bar 2, because a short silence is needed before the first downbeat. In Logic I liked when you could set the cycle range to start at a negative time-line number to render that initial silence, but I don’t think that is possible any more). Then I save as a new project (or “alt version” in the same document, if using Logic), set the cycle/loop range set to 60 seconds and drag the cycle/loop range around the full-length arrangement to quickly find an area that makes sense to start rearranging into a 60 sec version.

#31855 Reply
    Logika
    Participant

Good solution, thank you Art!

I have always started each session at bar 2 for the same reason, but obviously wanted the final cue to line up correctly with the grid without having a full (or even half) measure of silence in order to do so. I was curious as to how much.

Interesting idea for using the cycle range.

#32393 Reply
    Gary Shorey

Couldn’t be happier to have found this thread as this is a focus for me as well.. I posted a thread a few weeks back asking about marketing these, which got some good replies/ info…. but would appreciate being able to continue to discuss all aspects of this(producing as well as getting them shopped around)w/any of the people who’ve posted here-
    gary@
    garyshore
    composermusician.com

#35931 Reply
    MattMakaha

My question is sort of answered on page 6 of this thread, but not completely. So you can’t have any silence at all at the beginning of a 30 second edit? I use the ancient Roland VS1680 hard disk recorder, and I just set a marker at the beginning–most times when I burn the final mix to a CD then convert the CD to WAV or mp3, there’s like 0.2 seconds or so of silence at the beginning. Do I have to remove all silence at the beginning of a 30 second track?

#35933 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Do I have to remove all silence at the beginning of a 30 second track?

Ideally I would say yes but in reality most editors would/should know enough to trim the start. Personally I prefer to make as little work for a client as possible.

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
Reply To: Reply #31712 in 15, 30 and 60 second edits
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us