3 Tracks, 3 Genres. Critique Please

Home Forums Critiques 3 Tracks, 3 Genres. Critique Please

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    paul
    Participant

Would love to hear some feedback on production and quality. Thanks!

#34462 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hi there Paul. Sounds Great!
    “The Ascension” really stood out for me, and sounds like THAT’S Your Wheelhouse!

The only things I really could say is the mastering could use a bit of “Brightening”, and to be honest I would steer more towards “The Ascension, and less towards Field of Honor”.

Just me though..

Hope it helped.

#34470 Reply
    mikevan
    Participant

Hi Paul

The compositions are solid and stick to the style and emotion chosen for each track.
    As I said in other critiques, I see that the quality of tracks is getting higher so we need to pay attentions to sounds and mastering.
    Being a guitarist, I can hear that the guitars are samples and it shows especially on acoustic arpeggios and lead, distorted lines. Maybe there are better samples or a more realistic way to program them. For distorted guitars you could try using ‘clean’, non distorted samples and go through an amp simulator, that may help achieving a more realistic sound. Drums and piano (I’m referring to ‘Ascension’, mainly) could use more dynamics and sample that change with velocity: accents are very important for realism. You could look for drum midis played by real drummers and that could make a big difference. I think that the mixes could be a bit punchier, listen to reference tracks and experiment with compression and limiting, compare levels and sound pressure till you get close to your references. All in all, I think your tracks are well composed and arranged and could work very well in a lot of libraries. There’s a little more work to do if you want to compete with the best tracks around, especially if you want to focus on styles with a lot of guitars playing prominent parts. Hope it helps…

#34471 Reply
    Paul Montgomery

Mikevan, thanks for the input. Not sure what you’re hearing on the guitar end. I am also a guitarist and I play all my guitars live. Acoustics are miked up. Electrics are played live as well. I will give some attention more to mixes in the future but just know that soundcloud rips out a bit of the mix and punch. I probably should have posted the wave files. Thanks for taking the time. Best, Paul

#34472 Reply
    Paul Montgomery

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have a an album ready to go in “The Ascension” genre.

#34474 Reply
    mikevan
    Participant

Hi Paul
    I’m sorry, but you really fooled me… There is something though about your guitars, they sound a bit stiff and synthetic, but maybe it’s just me, or, as you say, something in the sound.. But I got a similar critique one one of my tracks last year, guess sometimes you can be fooled…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: 3 Tracks, 3 Genres. Critique Please
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us