Ad agencies

Home Forums General Questions Ad agencies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Musicmatters
    Participant

Hello people. I was wondering if any one here could offer any guidance on working with ad agencies. Do most agencies work directly with composers, best practices for contacting them, directories etc. Thank you MLR peeps !!!

#17337 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

The bigger the agency, the more hoops you need to jump through. For example, it’s pretty standard these days for a big agency to insist you are operating as a limited liability company or corporation, and have E&O insurance. That way they can push to make that Coldplay / Sigur Ros / Lumineers ‘sound alike’ as close to the original as they want.

These legal issues and the epic client schmoozing, marketing etc. that is required makes working through a music house really appealing, in my opinion. The only question is whether or not you think it’s a good deal for them to take half the money.

#17345 Reply
    huge
    Participant

Most agencies work with music houses. Think about it: Would you rather work with 20 individual composers separately, or just one point person from a jingle house that brings you 20+ demos. The way it’s always worked for me:

1. Music House give you notes/video/PDF mock up with driection etc.
    2. You compose some demos and submit.*
    3. The ad agency chooses a few tracks (hopefully one of yours).
    4. You have a conference call with the agency with additional changes.
    5. You resubmit your piece with the changes.
    6. They play the pieces for the client.
    7. Client chooses your track.
    8. You sign contract and get paid 60 days later (somewhere between 2k – 10k for original work depending on the size of the campaign, with the music house taking half the budget).

*Sometimes there is a small demo fee of around $300. But often not (we’re so desperate after all aren’t we?).

It’s that easy! 😉

#17349 Reply
    Atommusic

Another suggestion if i may. Find directors and producers in your area,that are shooting the TV spots etc., and let them hear your music. Usually the Ad agency goes with what the producer director wants. Or at least gives you a foot in the door. Because in the long run saves the Ad agency money. Also gives you a change to work with maybe the smaller jobs such as industrials and various other projects that need custom music. I have done many of these from Denny’s “How to mop a floor”. To getting a “Mammary gland exam”. You have to keep abreast of such things…… sorry horrible joke
    Anyway good luck….

ps might be interesting new diccussion “Whats the most strange topic you have done music for”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Ad agencies
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us