Am I hitting the mark here with production value and style?

Home Forums Critiques Am I hitting the mark here with production value and style?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JosephFaisonIV
    Participant

Im new to this, I would love a little insight as to how my stuff may work in the library market. Any recommendations on libraries, tags, if the forms are ok, etc would also be wonderful. I also worry if its outdated at all.

Thanks folks!

#32380 Reply
    JosephFaisonIV
    Participant

just a little bump for visibility here, hope its not breaking any rules

#32385 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Any recommendations on libraries, tags, if the forms are ok, etc would also be wonderful. I also worry if its outdated at all.

Hi there. Technically, I see nothing wrong with the compositions. Personally, I would not mix “Harsh Synths with nice, clean, and pretty guitar tones” (like the first track. It took me on vacation until I heard the grainy synths. but that’s just me..)

If You’re worried about being “dated”. I know for a fact that unless it is requested. NOT following the current music trends too closely, and being a few years behind is best. What “most” libraries are looking for is “proven” music(s) that are highly sought after.

Coming from the record side of the business, where I was always looking at current trends/styles has not helped me much on this side. If it’s dated, somewhat boring, and in my opinion underplayed. That seems to be the target area for “a lot” of the Libraries..

#32387 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I know for a fact that unless it is requested. NOT following the current music trends too closely, and being a few years behind is best.

True dat, at least in my experience!

#32388 Reply
    JosephFaisonIV
    Participant

Interesting, thanks guys

#32405 Reply
    StevenOBrien
    Participant

I know for a fact that unless it is requested. NOT following the current music trends too closely, and being a few years behind is best.

Got a laugh out of this, it’s very true.

#32406 Reply
    StevenOBrien
    Participant

You’re definitely on the right track.

I’d recommend downloading best-sellers from libraries you’re targeting and studying them closely. Trying to reproduce a top-selling composer’s track for practice is a great exercise, and can really help you learn new production techniques, and help you figure out if anything’s missing from your own work.

Regarding structure, again, refer to best-sellers. I’d suggest making your tracks a bit longer (aim for about 2:30). Innovation Station in particular is way too short at 0:52 (even if you’re going for advertisement-length, it should be 60s exactly).

For stock music, the best thing to do in my opinion is either a trailer music structure (three acts, increasing intensity, like a film, with an epilogue section), or intro-crescendo-bed-bigger crescendo-epilogue. There’s no strict rule, and It depends on what fits the music, but those are generally what you should be aiming for.

And just to echo what BEATSLINGER said, be very careful about having noticeable changes in the music beyond the usual structural elements. A lot of stock music is used under dialogue, and elements like the synth coming in in Chillest Percussion can just be jarring in that context. Playing your tracks over timelapse videos, or videos of dialogue without music is a good gauge.

#32418 Reply
    joseph faison

Steven, thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for feedback wise.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Reply #32380 in Am I hitting the mark here with production value and style?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us