How A NYTimes Reporter Collects Royalties From Hundreds of Music

Home Forums Commentary How A NYTimes Reporter Collects Royalties From Hundreds of Music

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

#39222 Reply
    Kery Michael

This sounds like such horrible, blatant exploitation and manipulation! He’s clearly using his position as a “respected” NY Times reporter to draw people into his money making scheme.

That he is now the “co-writer” of a library of over 2000 tracks, collecting $1000s on Spotify a month, is just awful. Just not another thing in this world to get all upset about.

And also it worked so well for him, that he’s now moving on to a Noam Chomsky project that needs music! C’mon! After that, it’s going to be a save the rainforests project that desperately needs music!

Lesson for me: As long as musicians are desperate to get their music out there, there’s going to be people to take advantage of them.

#39223 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks MM_Musicworks. That’s quite a story. I’m sure that NYT reporter would not be happy with people plagiarizing his work for money. Shameless!

#39224 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

Blatant, audacious, completely legal…. And extremely immoral… Dont know how they live with it.

#39259 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

Absolutely disgusting. Feels like a sign of the times, but maybe that’s just naive and shows my age.
    Is it legal to not have filed the 990? As in the description of the video.

#39260 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

Can’t really speak of the finer legal points… in any case, I think it would take all (or most of) the affected composers to unite and fight this in a court… and realistically, that seems like a long shot. So, this guy will probably get to enjoy his ill obtained fruit. (Terribly unfair but there it is… )

I guess the only thing we as composers can do is to be vigilant and refuse to participate in such operations. The trick lies in being able to identify such contracts right at the beginning when all seems to be hunky dory.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #39223 in How A NYTimes Reporter Collects Royalties From Hundreds of Music
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us