Any tips for me? Trying to get more income from licenses and stop selling music

Home Forums Newbie Questions Any tips for me? Trying to get more income from licenses and stop selling music

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CowboyStars
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m not sure where to post this so forgive me if it’s the wrong category. I feel like a nOOb though I’ve been doing this for a while….
    I’ve been selling (buy-outs) since 2009. It usually takes 1-2 days to produce a track/cue. While I really do appreciate the money, it’s a losing game since the music takes more time to make than is financially feasible to survive without constant money worry. I’m nearly always just breaking even. I produce 8-10 cues a month, of which the buyer chooses typically 5-6.

On the other hand, I’ve been licensing tracks that don’t make the sales on a pretty reputable RF site in Europe with comparatively higher licensing prices. I have approximately 300-350 tracks/cues on that site but license sales in the last year are sagging. I would love to put them on other licensing sites but the ones I’ve been able to get into don’t have the higher prices and usually suffer from low-quality, non-discriminatory cue acceptance which lends itself to an over-population of cues/tracks which are half or a third of the prices what my main library generates, and which my main library warns against joining because it will hurt their sales.

I’m trying to get out of this rut, and have been for a few years, but I have very little time to research other libraries because of constantly producing buy-outs, and I am dubious about joining these low-budget or subscription sites. Higher quality sites haven’t gotten back – though I should keep trying. I have a good number of tracks now that should be generating income but I feel pressure not to join sub-standard sites because of my aforementioned main library.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I remove myself from this rut? Just keep submitting to higher quality libraries? Should I shoot for libraries that are not royalty free?

#32788 Reply
    RM90
    Participant

Join more RF sites and put all of your non-exclusive tracks on them. I’d recommend Pond5 and Getty Images, those are the most profitable sites for me so far.

#32789 Reply
    CowboyStars
    Participant

Thanks RMcG…90,

I’ve a had some music on Pond5 for a few years without a sale, compared to many sales a month on my other site. What is the standard price for your cues on Pond5?

#32791 Reply
    RM90
    Participant

Usually I price stuff around $40 or $50. It also helps a lot to have the alternate edits of your tracks on there (stinger, loops, 30 sec edit, etc).

#32811 Reply
    AllanGiorgio
    Participant

Pond5 benefits from accurate metadata. It’s a huge market

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #32788 in Any tips for me? Trying to get more income from licenses and stop selling music
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us