Are there any advantages to producing surround mixes?

Home Forums General Questions Are there any advantages to producing surround mixes?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MattStarling
    Participant

Hello all,

I see that the vast majority of film/TV content these days is produced with a surround soundtrack, and it leads me to wonder if anyone has found any advantages or has received any requests to produce surround mixes of their compositions? If so, are there any buyers who are willing to pay more for surround versions?

#27328 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

First off – I LOVE to mix in surround. Very cool. But I have found no instances of companies in the library world that want to pay for it. What is becoming more standard though is stems. Stereo stems are helpful in surround mixing, and can help offset not having a 5.1 mix.

#27353 Reply
    Eric Kaye

Agreed with LAWriter. We rarely if ever get asked to mix music in 5.1. For advertising placements, we nearly always get asked for stems. When bouncing your final mixes, you should always bounce separate stems as well. (Drums only, bass only, guitar only, etc…). This availability has been make or break for licenses. We’ve gotten requests for music with the caveat “Only send me tracks that you have stems for.”
    Secondly, in the off chance you need to revise or customize a track in 5 years and your session will no longer open on the latest OS, you can recreate the piece from the audio stems far more easily…

It’s a good habit to get into bouncing stems along with your final mixes. With offline bounce, it doesn’t take that much more time.

EK

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #27328 in Are there any advantages to producing surround mixes?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us